BYU rallies to knock off StanfordNov 14, 2006 - 6:29 AM PALO ALTO, California (Ticker) -- A freshman gave Stanford a rare loss at home.
Haley Hall hit a 3-pointer with 16 seconds to play to rally No. 24 Brigham Young to a 55-52 victory over fourth-ranked Stanford in the second round of the Preseason Women's NIT.
The dramatic 3-pointer as the shot clock was expiring capped a comeback from a 13-point second-half deficit for BYU, which advances to play Baylor in the tournament finals on Thursday night.
Hall scored 15 points, including four 3-pointers for the Cougars, who shot just 37 percent (20-of-54) from the field but made 11-of-27 from the arc. Mallary Gillespie added 12 points.
Brooke Smith scored 13 points to lead the Cardinal (1-1), who led, 50-37, with 7:23 left in the game. Cissy Pierce added 10 points.
A jumper by Smith with 1:33 in the first half gave Stanford a 28-20 lead, but Hall and Gillespie hit 3-pointers to make it 28-26 at halftime.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Washington women beat Stanford 85-76 to reach Final Four Mar 27
- Washington-Stanford Preview Mar 26
- Lexington Regional women's final features Pac-12 showdown Mar 26
- Stanford stuns Notre Dame 90-84 in regional semifinal Mar 26
- Stanford-Notre Dame Preview Mar 24
- Notre Dame, Stanford women facing off in Sweet 16 again Mar 24
- Thompson's 3-point play with 8.2 seconds left lifts Stanford Mar 22
- S. Dakota St.-Stanford Preview Mar 20
- Stanford coach Tara VanDerveer influences so many coaches Mar 20
- Stanford's Tara VanDerveer beats former star Azzi in NCAAs Mar 20
- Cunningham powers No. 10 Missouri over No. 7 BYU 78-69 Mar 19
- San Francisco-Stanford Preview Mar 18