Ellis lifts Marquette to upset of WashingtonNov 15, 2006 - 4:42 AM MILWAUKEE (Ticker) -- Krystal Ellis put her best foot forward in protecting her house.
Ellis scored 24 points as Marquette collected a big win with a 78-61 upset of No. 25 Washington in the season opener for both teams.
The sophomore guard shot 7-of-15 from the field, including 3-of-6 on 3-pointers, and handed out six assists.
Danielle Kamm scored 15 points and grabbed 10 rebounds for the Golden Eagles, who raced out to a 40-29 lead at the half and held on the win, reaching the free-throw line 22 times in the second half.
Scoring 17 of their 32 second-half points in the first seven minutes following the break, the Huskies eventually closed within 50-48 with under 10 minutes to play. However, the Golden Eagles responded with a 6-0 run to improve their cushion.
Marquette added a 12-0 spurt in the closing five minutes to seal the victory.
Svetlana Kovalenko chipped in 13 points for the Golden Eagles, who shot 45 percent (25-of-56) from the floor and 22-of-35 (63 percent) from the stripe.
Cameo Hicks scored 12 points and Jill Bell added 10 despite 4-of-16 shooting for Washington, which shot 30 percent (22-of-73).
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Washington coach Mike Neighbors signs contract extension May 13
- Washington women crack under Syracuse pressure, 80-59 Apr 4
- Syracuse women beat Washington 80-59, reach NCAA title game Apr 4
- Washington-Syracuse Preview Apr 2
- Huskies, Orange try to keep changes under wraps for rematch Apr 2
- Washington women beat Stanford 85-76 to reach Final Four Mar 27
- Washington-Stanford Preview Mar 26
- Lexington Regional women's final features Pac-12 showdown Mar 26
- Washington women beat Kentucky 85-72 to reach regional final Mar 25
- Washington-Kentucky Preview Mar 24
- Kentucky's Epps expecting to play against Washington Mar 24
- Washington relishing NCAA tourney run to Sweet 16 Mar 23