Fowles leads LSU to Travelers Classic titleNov 15, 2006 - 4:01 AM BATON ROUGE, Louisiana (Ticker) -- Sylvia Fowles is making it look easy for Louisiana State.
Fowles scored 14 points to lead the 10th-ranked Tigers to a 70-40 rout of Virginia Tech in the final game of the Basketball Travelers Classic.
The 6-6 junior center, who went over the 1,000-point mark for her career in Monday night's 88-44 win over Howard, was named the tournament Most Valuable Player.
LSU had little trouble against the Hokies, using a 10-0 run that was started and ended by jumpers from Allison Hightower to take a 21-6 lead with 10:40 left in the first half.
After the teams traded baskets, the Tigers broke it open as Porsha Phillips hit back-to-back jumpers to start another 10-0 spurt for a 33-10 lead en route to a 37-19 cushion at halftime.
LSU (3-0) made 13 steals in forcing Virginia Tech (2-1) into 23 turnovers and turning them into 27 points.
Quianna Chaney scored 12 points and Phillips added 10 for the Tigers, who shot 46 percent (30-of-66) from the field.
Kirby Copeland scored 14 points to lead the Hokies, who shot 33 percent (16-of-48).
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Virginia Tech hires James Madison's Brooks as women's coach Mar 28
- No. 13 Kentucky women eliminate LSU from SEC tourney 79-71 Mar 3
- BC beats Virginia Tech 49-37 in ACC women's tournament Mar 2
- LSU beats Alabama 58-49 in opener of SEC women's tourney Mar 2
- Mitchell scores 24 in No. 3 South Carolina's 75-39 victory Feb 28
- Hof leads No. 18 Miami women to 67-56 OT win over Va Tech Feb 21
- LSU hands No. 24 Tennessee women 2nd loss in 3 games 57-56 Feb 21
- No. 12 Texas A&M women pull away in 4th, beat LSU 68-54 Feb 18
- Thompson sparks No. 18 Kentucky women to 70-58 win over LSU Feb 7
- Vivians leads No. 11 Mississippi State to 71-52 win over LSU Feb 4
- No. 11 Florida State women roll past Virginia Tech 68-50 Jan 31
- Cunningham, No. 22 Missouri women beat LSU 52-46 Jan 28