Gay, Waner lead Duke over MaristNov 18, 2006 - 8:05 AM DURHAM, North Carolina (Ticker) -- Carrem Gay and Abby Waner led Duke to another win in non-conference play.
Gay and Waner scored 14 points apiece as the fifth-ranked Blue Devils posted a 71-50 win over Marist in the first meeting between the schools.
Alison Bales added 12 points for Duke (2-0), which shot just 42 percent (25-of-59) from the field but outrebounded the Red Foxes, 47-27.
After a 102-49 victory over Northeastern on Saturday, Duke faced Marist from the mid-major Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference. The Red Foxes battled, trailing 32-22 at the half, but ultimately were overmatched by the deeper Blue Devils, who had eight players get 15 or more minutes.
Waner was 5-of-9 from the floor and added seven rebounds and two assists. Gay was 6-of-8 and grabbed 10 boards.
Meg Dahlman collected 12 points and eight rebounds for Marist, which shot just 28 percent (14-of-50) and committed 14 turnovers.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Duke: Investigation over, McCallie to remain women's coach May 8
- Duke women's basketball adds transfer from Wagner May 3
- Duke: Human resources reviewing women's basketball program Apr 12
- Stevens, Salvadores leaving Duke women's basketball team Apr 1
- No. 2 Notre Dame women beat Duke 83-54 in ACC quarterfinals Mar 4
- Chidom helps Duke women edge Virginia 57-53 Mar 3
- Thomas, No. 10 Florida State women beat Duke 69-53 Feb 11
- No. 16 Miami women build early lead in beating Duke 61-53 Feb 7
- No. 3 Notre Dame women beat Duke 68-61 Feb 1
- No. 22 Duke women beat Boston College 71-51 Jan 17
- North Carolina State beats No. 22 Duke women in Durham 65-62 Jan 15
- Defense dominates as Louisville women whip No. 18 Duke 65-48 Jan 10