Perera, Wilson help Fresno State upset No. 18 BYUNov 18, 2006 - 7:45 AM FRESNO, California (Ticker) -- Chantella Perera and Tierre Wilson helped Fresno State give Brigham Young a bout of the upset bug.
Perera scored 21 points and Wilson hit a big 3-pointer with just over two minutes left as the Bulldogs upset the 18th-ranked Cougars, 61-51.
Fresno State (2-0) won despite shooting just 33 percent (19-of-56) from the floor and making only 16-of-26 free throws. BYU (2-2) wasn't much better, managing only 35 percent (22-of-62) from the floor.
Perera made 6-of-13 attempts overall, including 4-of-5 from 3-point range. The Bulldogs hit 7-of-17 shots from the arc, while the Cougars netted just 4-of-23 3-pointers.
Wilson scored 10 points, including a 3-pointer with 2:04 remaining after BYU had closed to within 53-51. The bucket sparked a game-ending 8-0 run for Fresno State.
Melinda Johnsen scored 12 points and Dani Wright added 10 for the Cougars, who attempted only five free throws and committed 16 turnovers.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Cunningham powers No. 10 Missouri over No. 7 BYU 78-69 Mar 19
- Missouri-BYU Preview Mar 18
- No. 22 Colorado State women win MWC title 55-54 Mar 11
- Proctor leads USF to 70-68 win over BYU in WCC title game Mar 8
- No. 22 Colorado State women beat Fresno State 68-55 Mar 1
- BYU upsets No. 12 Texas A&M women, 72-67; sweep tourney Dec 5
- No. 24 George Washington women beat Fresno State 61-53 Nov 24
- No. 17 Oklahoma women rebound to defeat BYU 73-47 Nov 19
- Third-seeded Cards demolish BYU in first round Mar 21
- Strong second half has Huskies headed to Elite Eight Mar 29
- Cougars topple Cornhuskers Mar 25
- Eaton, Hamson shine as BYU upsets NC State Mar 22