Newman leads No. 1 Maryland past ArizonaNov 19, 2006 - 12:05 AM COLLEGE PARK, Maryland (Ticker) -- Ashleigh Newman had 17 points and eight rebounds and Laura Harper added 14 points as top-ranked Maryland posted a 75-61 victory over Arizona in the second day of the BTI Classic.
The Lady Terrapins (4-0) jumped out to an impressive 48-28 advantage at intermission behind 50 percent (17-of-34) shooting from the field in the first half. They eventually pushed the lead to 30 points as they were never threaten after the break.
Crystal Langhorne scored 11 points and Shay Doron chipped in 10 and four steals for Maryland, which shot 45 percent (27-of-59) overall and scored 20 points on second-chance opportunities.
Joy Hollingsworth scored 22 points and Malia O'Neal added 11 for the Wildcats (1-2), who shot 46 percent (26-of-56) and forced 22 turnovers.
The defending national champion, Maryland will return to action against George Washington on Sunday.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Arizona hires Barnes as next women's basketball coach Apr 4
- Plum scores 32 as Washington stuns Maryland Mar 21
- Washington-Maryland Preview Mar 20
- Maryland, Washington: Opposites attract in 2nd round matchup Mar 20
- Maryland spoils Iona debut in NCAA Tournament with 74-58 win Mar 19
- Iona-Maryland Preview Mar 18
- In season of change, Maryland returns to NCAAs as No. 2 seed Mar 16
- No. 5 Maryland women top Northwestern 83-62 Mar 5
- Billings leads No. 12 UCLA past Arizona 72-51. Mar 4
- No. 5 Maryland pulls away from Iowa 75-55 in Big Ten tourney Mar 4
- Jones leads Arizona women past Oregon 74-68 in Pac-12 Mar 3
- Arizona splits with women's basketball coach Niya Butts Mar 1