Parker leads Tennessee over Arizona StateNov 20, 2006 - 12:54 AM TEMPE, Arizona (Ticker) -- Candace Parker and Tennessee proved to have just a little bit more when it mattered.
Parker scored 25 points and pulled down 10 rebounds as the fourth-ranked Volunteers used a run midway through the second half to claim an 83-74 victory over No. 11 Arizona State.
Snapping the Sun Devils' 26-game home winning streak, Tennessee (3-0) captured its second straight win over a Pac-10 Conference opponent. It beat No. 21 UCLA on Thursday, 83-60.
After Arizona State closed within 52-48 on a jumper by Dymond Simon with 15:39 left in the second half, Tennessee responded with a 25-5 run over the next seven minutes.
Alexis Hornbuckle had seven points and Nicky Anosike had six during the burst for a 77-53 advantage with 8:39 to play.
Sidney Spencer scored 18 points and Hornbuckle finished with 13 and five assists for the Vols, who shot 58 percent (18-of-31) in the second half to pull away.
Emily Westerberg scored 21 points, Reagan Pariseau had 15 and Briann January 14 for the Sun Devils (4-1), which ended the game with a 21-6 spurt.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Lady Vols sign junior-college forward Cheridene Green May 18
- Lady Vols add Winthrop graduate transfer Schaquilla Nunn May 3
- Warlick wants Lady Vols to have more consistent work ethic Apr 29
- Postseason surge gives Lady Vols reason for optimism Mar 28
- Syracuse women beat Lady Vols 89-67, head to 1st Final Four Mar 28
- Tennessee-Syracuse Preview Mar 26
- Syracuse, Tennessee women set for improbable regional final Mar 26
- Lady Vols' NCAA run continues with 78-62 win over Buckeyes Mar 26
- Tennessee-Ohio St. Preview Mar 24
- Short-handed Ohio St. women without Craft against Lady Vols Mar 24
- Lady Vols reach Sweet 16 after disappointing regular season Mar 23
- Tennessee knocks off Arizona State 75-64 in NCAAs Mar 21