Michigan State quickly puts away Texas-ArlingtonNov 20, 2006 - 12:34 AM EAST LANSING, Michigan (Ticker) -- One quick burst was enough for Michigan State.
Mia Johnson and Aisha Jefferson scored 16 points apiece to lead the 17th-ranked Spartans to a 65-49 victory over Texas-Arlington.
Michigan State (2-0) seized control early in the game with a 16-0 run, turning an 11-5 deficit into a 21-11 lead with 8:31 to play in the first half.
Texas-Arlington never got closer than eight points thereafter and the lead never dipped below double digits in the second half.
Johnson had eight points - six at the free-throw line - during the decisive first-half surge for Michigan State, which shot 47 percent (21-of-45) from the field.
The Spartans got a big game from 6-9 freshman Allyssa DeHaan, who just missed a triple-double with 11 points, 11 rebounds and eight blocked shots. She helped Michigan State to a 44-33 advantage on the backboards.
Erin Dixon scored 11 points and Ashley Bobb added 10 for Texas-Arlington (2-1), which shot 25 percent (15-of-60).
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- No. 5 Mississippi St beats No. 4 Michigan State 74-72 Mar 20
- Michigan St.-Mississippi St. Preview Mar 19
- Michigan State's offense to get a test vs. Mississippi State Mar 19
- Michigan State pulls away to beat Belmont 74-60 Mar 18
- Belmont-Michigan St. Preview Mar 17
- Michigan State's star insists she isn't thinking about WNBA Mar 16
- No. 19 Spartans, special Powers rout No. 9 Buckeyes 82-63 Mar 5
- Powers leads No. 19 Michigan St. women past Purdue 65-64 Mar 4
- No. 20 Michigan St outlasts No. 5 Ohio St 107-105 in 3 OTs Feb 27
- No. 20 Michigan State women use big 4th to top Illinois Feb 24
- Powers leads No. 25 Michigan State over Minnesota 114-106 Feb 21
- Powers leads No. 25 Michigan State women over Rutgers 70-67 Feb 18