Carson scores 16 to lead Rutgers over Penn StateNov 25, 2006 - 4:45 AM ST. THOMAS, Virgin Islands (Ticker) -- Rutgers now has the matchup it came all the way to the Virgin Islands for.
Essence Carson had 16 points and four assists and Epiphanny Prince added 13 points and five steals as No. 18 Rutgers knocked off Penn State, 57-44, in the semifinals of the Paradise Jam.
Kia Vaughn had nine points and 11 rebounds for the Scarlet Knights (2-2), who will face 12th-ranked Arizona State in Saturday's final.
Rutgers shot just 35 percent (8-of-23) in the first half and led just 23-22, but it shot 50 percent (10-of-20) after the break and made 13 free throws to pull away.
The Lady Lions (4-2) made just five shots in the first half - all from the arc - and shot just 33 percent (6-of-18) from the field after the break, including 1-of-7 from the arc. Penn State also lost the battle of turnovers, 21-11.
Adreinne Squire scored 12 points and was 3-of-10 from the arc for the Lady Lions, who were 6-of-17 on 3-pointers and 5-of-18 on 2-pointers.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Mitchell scores 43, No. 9 Ohio State beats Rutgers 73-58 Mar 5
- Purdue women top Penn State, 70-59; face Michigan State Mar 3
- Rutgers comes back to edge Nebraska 66-63 in Big Ten tourney Mar 3
- Penn State tops Illinois 75-66 at Big Ten women's tourney Mar 2
- No. 6 Maryland women beat Rutgers 73-59 Feb 21
- Powers leads No. 25 Michigan State women over Rutgers 70-67 Feb 18
- Alston's 26 leads No. 7 Ohio State over Penn State Feb 14
- Penn State upsets No. 17 Michigan State women 65-61 Feb 11
- Walker-Kimbrough leads Maryland to 89-53 win over Jan 27
- Mitchell scores 22, No. 7 Ohio State beats Rutgers Jan 24
- No. 21 Michigan State women top Rutgers 59-48 after big run Jan 19
- Mitchell's 31 points leads No. 5 Ohio State over Rutgers Jan 10