Williams, Vanderbilt cruise to final of holiday tournamentNov 24, 2006 - 9:57 PM NASHVILLE, Tennessee (Ticker) -- Caroline Williams scored 17 points as No. 14 Vanderbilt rolled to an 81-49 triumph over Florida Atlantic.
With the victory, the Commodores (5-0) advanced to a meeting with 17th-ranked California in the final of the Vanderbilt Thanksgiving Tournament on Saturday.
Williams did most of her damage from the perimeter, connecting on 5-of-11 3-pointers. Christina Wirth scored 12 points and reserve Lauren Lueders added 11 for Vanderbilt, which overcame a slow start and pulled away after the break.
The Commodores shot just 36 percent (13-of-36) in the opening 20 minutes and entered halftime with a 36-25 lead. But thanks to the hot shooting of Williams and Lueders, Vanderbilt connected on 17-of-29 shots (59 percent) after the break and opened a huge lead.
Mistoria Brown scored 11 points for Florida Atlantic (1-5), which owned a 43-40 advantage on the glass but committed 25 turnovers.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Balcomb steps down as Vanderbilt women's basketball coach Apr 27
- No. 16 Mississippi State women beat Vanderbilt 63-46 Mar 4
- Vandy women rally to beat Georgia 54-49 in OT in SEC tourney Mar 3
- Reed, Vanderbilt women roll to 74-59 victory over Ole Miss Mar 2
- Reed leads Vanderbilt women, upset No. 24 Missouri 56-52 Feb 28
- Vivians scores 21 in No. 16 Mississippi State's 66-61 win Feb 25
- No. 12 Texas A&M women win 20th, beat Vanderbilt 75-63 Feb 21
- No. 22 Florida women beat Vanderbilt 79-67 Feb 18
- Jennings leads No. 18 Kentucky women past Vanderbilt 71-55 Feb 14
- Correction: T25-Tennessee-Vanderbilt story Feb 12
- Reed helps Vanderbilt women slip past No. 12 Kentucky 71-69 Jan 28
- No. 18 Lady Vols end skid with 58-49 victory over Vanderbilt Jan 21