Larkins, North Carolina pound Sacramento StateNov 24, 2006 - 11:15 PM HONOLULU, Hawaii (Ticker) -- Erlana Larkins scored 21 points and grabbed seven rebounds to lead second-ranked North Carolina to a 99-38 rout of Sacramento State in the opening round of the Rainbow Wahine Classic.
Larkins shot 7-of-10 from the floor and made 7-of-11 from the line to pace five Tar Heels in double figures. She also chipped in three assists and a pair of steals.
Camille Little had 16 points and 10 rebounds, Ivory Latta scored 14 points and reserves Heather Claytor and Jessica Breland added 12 and 11, respectively, for North Carolina (4-0), which improved to 9-4 all-time in this tournament.
After building a 57-30 halftime lead, the Tar Heels put their foot down defensively after the break, limiting Sacramento State to just eight points on 3-of-27 shooting over the final 20 minutes.
North Carolina, which owned a 59-24 advantage on the glass and forced 35 turnovers, will face either Gonzaga or No. 19 UCLA in Saturday's semifinals.
Kim Sheehy scored nine points to pace Sacramento State (1-4), which shot just 24 percent (13-of-55).
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Pitt beats UNC 82-72 in ACC women's tournament Mar 2
- Bulgak powers No. 10 Florida State women to win over UNC Feb 14
- No. 13 Louisville women overtake North Carolina 78-60 Feb 4
- Hatchell to sit 2 games for referee contact, NCAA violation Jan 29
- Sacramento State sets women's record for made 3-pointers Jan 23
- No. 21 Miami women beat UNC 76-61 for Katie Meier's 200th Jan 17
- Ogunbowale scores 16, No. 3 Notre Dame beats UNC 88-54 Jan 10
- No. 19 UCLA women raced to 109-76 win over Sacramento State Dec 19
- Records fall as No. 18 Cal women beat Sacramento St. 117-99 Dec 7
- No. 15 Northwestern women defeat North Carolina 85-72 Dec 2
- Gardner-Webb shocks No. 22 North Carolina women 66-65 Nov 13
- Late layup lifts South Carolina over Heels Mar 28