Parker, Tennessee dunk StanfordNov 25, 2006 - 2:55 AM KNOXVILLE, Tennessee (Ticker) -- Tennessee received its first test of the season and aced it.
Candace Parker scored 25 points, including a dunk, to lead the fourth-ranked Vols to a 77-60 victory over No. 11 Stanford.
The Vols (4-0) played a superb second half in turning back the Cardinal (2-2).
Led by the brilliant all-around play of Parker, a 6-4 sophomore sensation, Tennessee shot 61 percent (14-of-23) after the break and made all 12 of its foul shots. Overall, the Vols shot 50 percent (27-of-54) and were 18-of-19 from the line.
Parker also had nine rebounds in helping the Vols to a 37-26 edge on the boards. She added five blocks and four steals to go with her fourth career dunk.
Jayne Appel scored 23 points and Candice Wiggins added 18 for Stanford, which shot 46 percent (26-of-57) and trailed by as many as 20 points.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Lady Vols sign junior-college forward Cheridene Green May 18
- Lady Vols add Winthrop graduate transfer Schaquilla Nunn May 3
- Warlick wants Lady Vols to have more consistent work ethic Apr 29
- Postseason surge gives Lady Vols reason for optimism Mar 28
- Syracuse women beat Lady Vols 89-67, head to 1st Final Four Mar 28
- Washington women beat Stanford 85-76 to reach Final Four Mar 27
- Washington-Stanford Preview Mar 26
- Lexington Regional women's final features Pac-12 showdown Mar 26
- Tennessee-Syracuse Preview Mar 26
- Syracuse, Tennessee women set for improbable regional final Mar 26
- Lady Vols' NCAA run continues with 78-62 win over Buckeyes Mar 26
- Stanford stuns Notre Dame 90-84 in regional semifinal Mar 26