Packer's huge second half keeps Ohio St. undefeatedDec 3, 2006 - 11:27 PM COLUMBUS, Ohio (Ticker) -- Marscilla Parker made sure that Ohio State's undefeated start did not end with the new month.
Parker scored 22 of her 25 points in the second half as the sixth-ranked Buckeyes rallied for an 84-79 victory over Washington.
Playing for the first time since a 68-33 victory over Longwood on Thursday, Ohio State's opportunity to improve to 7-0 appeared in jeopardy as it fell behind 64-53 on a 3-pointer by Cheri Craddock with 10:30 remaining.
Thanks largely to Packer, Jessica Davenport and Brandie Hoskins, the Buckeyes closed the contest with a 31-15 run. Packer had 11 points down the stretch and Davenport and Hoskins contributed eight each.
Packer's jumper with 2:29 left closed the deficit to 74-73. She grabbed a steal moments later and passed the ball to Maria Moeller, who found Hoskins for a fast-break layup and a 75-74 lead with 2:01 left.
Packer hit a jumper in the paint 38 seconds later to make it 78-74. The Huskies could get no closer than two points thereafter.
The junior guard finished 8-of-18 from the field with four 3-pointers in the second half.
Davenport had 25 points and 16 rebounds and Hoskins scored 23 and handed out seven assists for Ohio State, which shot 54 percent (31-of-57) for the contest.
Cameo Hicks scored 16 of her 29 points in the first half for Washington (3-4), which lost despite shooting 50 percent (15-of-30), including 5-of-8 on 3-pointers, in the second half.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Washington coach Mike Neighbors signs contract extension May 13
- Washington women crack under Syracuse pressure, 80-59 Apr 4
- Syracuse women beat Washington 80-59, reach NCAA title game Apr 4
- Washington-Syracuse Preview Apr 2
- Huskies, Orange try to keep changes under wraps for rematch Apr 2
- Washington women beat Stanford 85-76 to reach Final Four Mar 27
- Washington-Stanford Preview Mar 26
- Lexington Regional women's final features Pac-12 showdown Mar 26
- Lady Vols' NCAA run continues with 78-62 win over Buckeyes Mar 26
- Washington women beat Kentucky 85-72 to reach regional final Mar 25
- Tennessee-Ohio St. Preview Mar 24
- Short-handed Ohio St. women without Craft against Lady Vols Mar 24