Larkins leads North Carolina over TennesseeDec 4, 2006 - 4:53 AM CHAPEL HILL, North Carolina (Ticker) -- North Carolina's depth overcame a stellar performance by Tennessee's Candace Parker.
Erlana Larkins scored 17 points and grabbed 12 rebounds to lead the second-ranked Tar Heels to a 70-57 victory over the fourth-ranked Vols.
In moving to 8-0, North Carolina had to withstand a 27-point, 10-rebound effort from Parker, Tennessee's 6-4 sophomore standout.
The Tar Heels' second-half shooting was the difference, as they hit 59 percent (16-of-27) to break away from a 30-30 tie.
North Carolina fought off several Tennessee rallies, building its third 10-point lead of the half on a basket by Larkins for a 59-49 lead with 4:41 to play.
Shannon Bobbitt hit a 3-pointer for the Vols 24 seconds later, but point guard Ivory Latta buried four straight free throws to push the Tar Heels' lead to 63-52 with 2:48 to play and Tennessee never got closer than 10 the rest of the way.
Latta scored 12 points and Camille Little added 11 and nine rebounds to help Carolina hold a 43-33 edge on the boards.
Parker was the only player in double figures for the Vols, who shot 36 percent (21-of-58) for the game.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Lady Vols sign junior-college forward Cheridene Green May 18
- Lady Vols add Winthrop graduate transfer Schaquilla Nunn May 3
- Warlick wants Lady Vols to have more consistent work ethic Apr 29
- Postseason surge gives Lady Vols reason for optimism Mar 28
- Syracuse women beat Lady Vols 89-67, head to 1st Final Four Mar 28
- Tennessee-Syracuse Preview Mar 26
- Syracuse, Tennessee women set for improbable regional final Mar 26
- Lady Vols' NCAA run continues with 78-62 win over Buckeyes Mar 26
- Tennessee-Ohio St. Preview Mar 24
- Short-handed Ohio St. women without Craft against Lady Vols Mar 24
- Lady Vols reach Sweet 16 after disappointing regular season Mar 23
- Tennessee knocks off Arizona State 75-64 in NCAAs Mar 21