Fowles, balance lead LSU over Ohio StateDec 11, 2006 - 12:32 AM BATON ROUGE, Louisiana (Ticker) -- Sylvia Fowles had plenty of help in her battle against one of the top centers in the nation.
Fowles scored 18 points and grabbed 16 rebounds as No. 10 Louisiana State posted a 75-51 victory over sixth-ranked Ohio State.
Squaring off against two-time Big Ten Player of the Year Jessica Davenport, the 6-6 Fowles shot 8-of-13 from the field and blocked one of the Buckeye center's shots.
Quianna Chaney scored 17 points and Erica White added 10 for the Tigers (10-1), who extended the nation's longest home winning streak to 37 games.
After closing the first half with a 12-2 spurt for a 34-24 lead at intermission, LSU pulled away thereafter, shooting 62 percent (16-of-26) from the field after the break and finishing with a 16-0 advantage in fast-break points.
RaShonta LeBlanc scored seven points and handed out a career-high eight assists for the Tigers, who finished with 21 assists.
Davenport was the lone player in double figures for Ohio State (7-1), scoring 14 points and grabbing 13 boards. She also blocked one of Fowles' shots.
- NCAA WOMENS BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
OHIO ST (6) 24 27 51
LSU (10) 34 41 75 FINAL
Dec 10 4:48 PM
NCAA WOMENS BB OHIO ST (6) 24
LSU (10) 34 HALFTIME
Dec 10 3:51 PM
- Lady Vols' NCAA run continues with 78-62 win over Buckeyes Mar 26
- Tennessee-Ohio St. Preview Mar 24
- Short-handed Ohio St. women without Craft against Lady Vols Mar 24
- Ohio State advances to Sweet 16 with win over West Virginia Mar 20
- West Virginia-Ohio St. Preview Mar 19
- West Virginia, Ohio State clash in 2nd round of tournament Mar 19
- Ohio State smothers Buffalo to advance in NCAA Tournament Mar 18
- Buffalo-Ohio St. Preview Mar 17
- No. 19 Spartans, special Powers rout No. 9 Buckeyes 82-63 Mar 5
- Mitchell scores 43, No. 9 Ohio State beats Rutgers 73-58 Mar 5
- No. 13 Kentucky women eliminate LSU from SEC tourney 79-71 Mar 3
- LSU beats Alabama 58-49 in opener of SEC women's tourney Mar 2