Arizona State storms past Texas TechDec 19, 2006 - 6:18 AM PHOENIX (Ticker) -- The way the second outdoor game in women's basketball history ended, they might reconsider the need for a third.
Danielle Orsillo scored 16 points to lead No. 11 Arizona State to a 61-45 victory over Texas Tech in the Hoops for Heath Classic in a game called short because of ... rain.
With the contest being staged at Chase Field, home of baseball's Arizona Diamondbacks, play was halted with 4:18 to play. Officials were not able to close the roof at the ballpark in time to prevent the court from getting wet.
The venue was also the site of the first women's outdoor game, when Arizona State lost to Tennessee in 2000.
While neither team shot especially well from the field, they were both excellent from 3-point range, each making 12-of-19.
The Sun Devils (10-1) had 12 steals and forced 25 turnovers in winning their fifth consecutive game.
Erin Myrick scored 11 points to lead Texas Tech (8-4), which shot 36 percent (16-of-44).
- AT PHOENIX AZ
NCAA WOMENS BB FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
TEXAS TECH 25 20 45
ARIZONA ST (11) 37 24 61 FINAL
Dec 18 11:06 PM
- AT PHOENIX AZ
NCAA WOMENS BB TEXAS TECH 25
ARIZONA ST (11) 37 HALFTIME
Dec 18 9:49 PM
- Tennessee knocks off Arizona State 75-64 in NCAAs Mar 21
- Tennessee-Arizona St. Preview Mar 19
- Arizona State not looking past inconsistent Tennessee Mar 19
- Arizona State opens NCAAs with 74-52 win over NM State Mar 18
- New Mexico St.-Arizona St. Preview Mar 17
- No. 4 Baylor women roll past Texas Tech 82-51 Mar 5
- Texas Tech women beat Iowa St. 89-84 in Big 12 tournament Mar 4
- California stuns No. 10 Arizona St 75-64 in Pac-12 quarters Mar 4
- No. 24 Oklahoma women beat Texas Tech 70-60 Mar 1
- Fields leads No. 14 UCLA past No. 9 Arizona State Feb 28
- Katie Hempen leads No. 9 Arizona State past USC 50-45 Feb 27
- No. 8 Texas wins 25th game, 76-55 over Texas Tech Feb 24