Ohio State halts Oklahoma win streak at 23Dec 21, 2006 - 3:42 AM NORMAN, Oklahoma (Ticker) -- Ohio State couldn't stop one streak but it halted the one that counted.
Marscilla Packer scored 15 points and Jessica Davenport added 14 and 10 rebounds to lift No. 8 Ohio State to a 74-67 victory over third-ranked Oklahoma.
Sooners center Courtney Paris had 22 points and 13 rebounds in her head-to-head battle with fellow All-American Davenport. While Paris recorded her 38th consecutive double-double, it wasn't enough to prevent Oklahoma (9-1) from having its nation-best 23-game regular-season winning streak snapped.
Ohio State (10-1), which also received 14 points from Brandie Hoskins, was the last team to defeat Oklahoma in the regular season, on January 14.
The Buckeyes used a 14-2 run to go ahead, 17-11. They built the lead to as many as 10 points before a basket by Paris pulled the Sooners within 40-36 at halftime.
Paris and Chelsi Welch sparked a 10-0 run to open the second half, but Ohio State battled back and went ahead for good, 61-60, on two free throws by Davenport with 7:15 left.
Welch scored 14 points and Ashley Paris added 11 for the Sooners.
- NCAA WOMENS BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
OHIO ST (8) 40 34 74
OKLAHOMA (3) 36 31 67 FINAL
Dec 20 8:55 PM
- NCAA WOMENS BB
OHIO ST (8) 40
OKLAHOMA (3) 36 HALFTIME
Dec 20 7:45 PM
- Lady Vols' NCAA run continues with 78-62 win over Buckeyes Mar 26
- Tennessee-Ohio St. Preview Mar 24
- Short-handed Ohio St. women without Craft against Lady Vols Mar 24
- Kentucky pulls away from Oklahoma 79-58 in NCAA second round Mar 21
- Ohio State advances to Sweet 16 with win over West Virginia Mar 20
- Oklahoma-Kentucky Preview Mar 20
- No. 3 Kentucky, No. 6 Oklahoma aim to keep up the good work Mar 20
- No. 6 seed Oklahoma tops No. 11 Purdue 61-45 in NCAA Mar 19
- West Virginia-Ohio St. Preview Mar 19
- West Virginia, Ohio State clash in 2nd round of tournament Mar 19
- Purdue-Oklahoma Preview Mar 18
- Ohio State smothers Buffalo to advance in NCAA Tournament Mar 18