Smith, Newlin help Stanford open league play on a positiveDec 21, 2006 - 7:12 AM LOS ANGELES (Ticker) -- Brooke Smith and Kristen Newlin both scored 14 points as 15th-ranked Stanford posted a 62-46 victory over Southern California in the opener of Pac-10 Conference play for both teams.
Smith had 14 rebounds and seven assists and Newlin pulled down seven rebounds for the Cardinal (6-3, 1-0 Pac-10), who won their fourth straight game.
Stanford entered the locker room with a 36-27 edge. The Cardinal limited the Women of Troy (6-5, 0-1) to 22 percent (6-of-27) shooting in the second half to maintain control of the contest.
Jillian Harmon contributed 13 points and J.J. Hones followed with 11 for Stanford, which forced 18 turnovers.
Eshaya Murphy netted 22 points for USC, which had its three-game winning streak ended.
- NCAA WOMENS BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
STANFORD (15) 36 26 62
USC 27 19 46 FINAL
Dec 20 11:52 PM
- NCAA WOMENS BB
STANFORD (15) 36
USC 27 HALFTIME
Dec 20 10:49 PM
- Washington women beat Stanford 85-76 to reach Final Four Mar 27
- Washington-Stanford Preview Mar 26
- Lexington Regional women's final features Pac-12 showdown Mar 26
- Stanford stuns Notre Dame 90-84 in regional semifinal Mar 26
- Stanford-Notre Dame Preview Mar 24
- Notre Dame, Stanford women facing off in Sweet 16 again Mar 24
- Thompson's 3-point play with 8.2 seconds left lifts Stanford Mar 22
- S. Dakota St.-Stanford Preview Mar 20
- Stanford coach Tara VanDerveer influences so many coaches Mar 20
- Stanford's Tara VanDerveer beats former star Azzi in NCAAs Mar 20
- Tara VanDerveer, former star Jennifer Azzi take NCAA stage Mar 18
- San Francisco-Stanford Preview Mar 18