Wiggins-less Stanford tops UCLADec 23, 2006 - 2:35 AM LOS ANGELES (Ticker) -- Jill Harmon made sure Stanford did not open league play like it started began the season.
Harmon scored 14 points and Brooke Smith added 13 as No. 15 Stanford captured its second straight Pac-10 Conference contest with a 68-59 victory over UCLA.
The fourth-ranked team in the nation, the Cardinal (7-3, 2-0 Pac-10) struggled early this season, losing three of their first five games.
Despite playing without two-time Pac-10 Player of the Year Candice Wiggins, Stanford shot 53 percent (15-of-30) in the first half en route to a 36-28 halftime lead. It made sure that stood up by holding UCLA to just 34 percent (21-of-62) shooting for the game.
Harmon went 7-of-12 from the floor and Jayne Appel and J.J. Hones added 11 points apiece for the Cardinal.
Noelle Quinn scored 18 points and Lindsey Pluimer 15 for the Bruins (7-7, 1-1).
- NCAA WOMENS BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
STANFORD (15) 36 32 68
UCLA 28 31 59 FINAL
Dec 22 6:51 PM
- NCAA WOMENS BB
STANFORD (15) 36
UCLA 28 HALFTIME
Dec 22 5:49 PM
- Washington women beat Stanford 85-76 to reach Final Four Mar 27
- Texas comes from behind to beat UCLA 72-64 in Bridgeport Mar 26
- Washington-Stanford Preview Mar 26
- Lexington Regional women's final features Pac-12 showdown Mar 26
- Stanford stuns Notre Dame 90-84 in regional semifinal Mar 26
- UCLA-Texas Preview Mar 25
- UCLA and Texas play in Bridgeport's "other" semifinal Mar 25
- Stanford-Notre Dame Preview Mar 24
- Notre Dame, Stanford women facing off in Sweet 16 again Mar 24
- Thompson's 3-point play with 8.2 seconds left lifts Stanford Mar 22
- Jordin Canada leads UCLA into Sweet 16 Mar 22
- South Florida-UCLA Preview Mar 20