Gearlds sets Purdue's 3-point record in Big Ten openerDec 29, 2006 - 3:01 AM WEST LAFAYETTE, Indiana (Ticker) -- Katie Gearlds' sizzling shooting got Purdue off to a great start in conference play.
Gearlds sank five 3-pointers and scored 22 points as No. 13 Purdue rolled to a 79-35 victory over Michigan in the opener of Big Ten play for both schools.
The senior guard finished 5-of-9 from the arc, pushing her career 3-point basket total to 186 to break the mark of 183 set by Stephanie White from 1996-99. Gearlds is shooting 39 percent (36-of-93) from long range this season.
Erin Lawless scored 18 points and Lindsay Wisdom-Hylton added eight and 12 rebounds for the Boilermakers (12-2), who finished 9-of-19 (47 percent) on 3-pointers.
Holding Michigan to 25 percent (9-of-36) shooting in the first half, Purdue grabbed a 37-20 advantage at intermission. The strong defensive effort by the Boilermakers continued thereafter as the Wolverines managed just 15 points in the second half.
Kelly Helvey scored nine points for Michigan (7-7), which shot 24 percent (16-of-66) and committed 22 turnovers.
- NCAA WOMENS BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
MICHIGAN 20 15 35
PURDUE (13) 37 42 79 FINAL
Dec 28 8:56 PM
- NCAA WOMENS BB
PURDUE (13) 37 HALFTIME
Dec 28 7:50 PM
- No. 6 seed Oklahoma tops No. 11 Purdue 61-45 in NCAA Mar 19
- Purdue-Oklahoma Preview Mar 18
- Powers leads No. 19 Michigan St. women past Purdue 65-64 Mar 4
- Purdue women top Penn State, 70-59; face Michigan State Mar 3
- Iowa women race past Michigan in Big Ten second round Mar 3
- No. 6 Maryland uses big second half to beat Michigan 76-56 Feb 17
- No. 5 Maryland never trails in 73-59 win over Purdue Feb 11
- No. 17 Michigan State women beat Michigan 85-64 Feb 3
- Walker-Kimbrough scores 41, No. 5 Maryland women beat Purdue Feb 2
- Powers, No. 18 Michigan State women beat Purdue 68-56 Jan 27
- Mitchell leads No. 7 Ohio State to 97-93 win over Michigan Jan 21
- Mitchell scores 27 to lift No. 5 Ohio State over Purdue Jan 17