Appel, Newlin leads Stanford past ArizonaDec 29, 2006 - 8:31 AM PALO ALTO, California (Ticker) -- Reserve Jayne Appel scored 15 points and Kristen Newlin had 12 and 11 rebounds as No. 15 Stanford posted an 86-58 victory over Arizona in Pac-10 conference action.
Brooke Smith and Candice Wiggins had 12 points apiece and Michelle Harrison added 10 off the bench for the Cardinal, who won their sixth straight contest and extended their conference home winning streak to 47 games.
Appel was 6-of-7 from the field and Wiggins was 4-of-9 from 3-point range after sitting out two games with a sprained left hamstring.
Stanford (8-3, 3-0 Pac-10) shot 46 percent (32-of-70) en route to beating Arizona for the seventh straight time.
Ashley Whisonant scored 13 points and Suzy Bofia added 11 off the bench for the Wildcats (6-8, 0-2), who shot 37 percent (23-of-63).
- NCAA WOMENS BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
ARIZONA 26 32 58
STANFORD (15) 40 46 86 FINAL
Dec 28 11:41 PM
- NCAA WOMENS BB
STANFORD (15) 40 HALFTIME
Dec 28 10:42 PM
- Arizona hires Barnes as next women's basketball coach Apr 4
- Washington women beat Stanford 85-76 to reach Final Four Mar 27
- Washington-Stanford Preview Mar 26
- Lexington Regional women's final features Pac-12 showdown Mar 26
- Stanford stuns Notre Dame 90-84 in regional semifinal Mar 26
- Stanford-Notre Dame Preview Mar 24
- Notre Dame, Stanford women facing off in Sweet 16 again Mar 24
- Thompson's 3-point play with 8.2 seconds left lifts Stanford Mar 22
- S. Dakota St.-Stanford Preview Mar 20
- Stanford coach Tara VanDerveer influences so many coaches Mar 20
- Stanford's Tara VanDerveer beats former star Azzi in NCAAs Mar 20
- San Francisco-Stanford Preview Mar 18