Auriemma wins No. 600 in Connecticut rompDec 31, 2006 - 11:20 PM HARTFORD, Connecticut (Ticker) -- Perfection allowed Connecticut coach Geno Auriemma to cap off the year with a milestone.
Auriemma became the 17th coach to win 600 games as the fifth-ranked Huskies coasted to an 82-40 victory over intrastate rival Sacred Heart.
A Hall of Fame inductee in 2006, Auriemma has led the Huskies to five national championships. Now in his 22nd season, he is the fastest coach to reach 600 wins, accomplishing the mark in 716 games - 18 fewer than Tennessee's Pat Summitt.
Freshmen Kaili McLaren and Tina Charles each had a double-double in Auriemma's record win. Making her first career start, McLaren had 14 points and 15 rebounds while Charles supplied 15 and 11 as UConn improved to 11-0 for the eighth time since 1996-97.
"Will I enjoy tonight? Yeah, to a certain extent," Auriemma said. "I'm thinking more about tomorrow and the day after that we have to address. But yeah, I will tonight for a little bit."
Guard Renee Montgomery also scored 14 points for the Huskies, who shot 50 percent (34-of-68) from the field and extended their home winning streak against non-ranked opponents to a staggering 192-0.
UConn outscored Sacred Heart, 54-14, in the paint and dominated the backboards, 57-20.
Amanda Pape scored 19 points to lead the Pioneers (6-6), who shot 2-of-22 from 3-point range and trailed 40-25 at halftime.
- AT HARTFORD CT
NCAA WOMENS BB FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
SACRED HEART 25 15 40
CONNECTICUT (5) 40 42 82 FINAL
Dec 31 1:39 PM
- AT HARTFORD CT
NCAA WOMENS BB SACRED HEART 25
CONNECTICUT (5) 40 HALFTIME
Dec 31 12:45 PM
- Obama honors UConn women for another national championship May 10
- Duke's Azura Stevens transfers to UConn Apr 30
- UConn coach Geno Auriemma released from the hospital Apr 19
- UConn coach Auriemma hospitalized with undisclosed illness Apr 17
- UConn star Morgan Tuck to enter WNBA draft Apr 6
- Returning UConn players say they're ready to take baton Apr 6
- UConn skips campus parade due to weather, will rally indoors Apr 6
- Four-Peat: UConn beats 'Cuse for 4th straight national title Apr 6
- Syracuse-UConn Preview Apr 4
- Tuck and Stewart lead UConn back to the title game Apr 3
- Oregon St.-UConn Preview Apr 2
- Oregon State and UConn take different paths to Final Four Apr 2