Davenport, Packer lead Ohio State on the road over IowaDec 31, 2006 - 11:34 PM IOWA CITY, Iowa (Ticker) -- Jessica Davenport wanted to help Ohio State start off the right way in its conference opener.
Davenport had 24 points and 11 rebounds and Marscilla Packer scored 23 as No. 8 Ohio State posted a 73-67 Big Ten victory over Iowa in its conference opener.
Brandie Hoskins had 18 points on 7-of-10 shooting for the Buckeyes, who went 58 percent (28-of-48) for the game, including a sizzling 67 percent (16-of-24) in the second half.
Davenport and Packer each shot 9-of-13 from the floor for Ohio State (10-1, 1-0 Big Ten), which has won six straight against Iowa, including four in row here.
Davenport's 11 boards allowed the Wooden Award candidate to become just the third Buckeye to surpass 900 rebounds for her career.
Kristi Smith scored 21 points and Megan Skouby added 19 for the Hawkeyes (9-6, 1-1), who have lost two straight at home.
- NCAA WOMENS BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
OHIO ST (8) 31 42 73
IOWA 32 35 67 FINAL
Dec 31 4:52 PM
- NCAA WOMENS BB
OHIO ST (8) 31
IOWA 32 HALFTIME
Dec 31 3:46 PM
- Lady Vols' NCAA run continues with 78-62 win over Buckeyes Mar 26
- Tennessee-Ohio St. Preview Mar 24
- Short-handed Ohio St. women without Craft against Lady Vols Mar 24
- Ohio State advances to Sweet 16 with win over West Virginia Mar 20
- West Virginia-Ohio St. Preview Mar 19
- West Virginia, Ohio State clash in 2nd round of tournament Mar 19
- Ohio State smothers Buffalo to advance in NCAA Tournament Mar 18
- Buffalo-Ohio St. Preview Mar 17
- No. 19 Spartans, special Powers rout No. 9 Buckeyes 82-63 Mar 5
- Mitchell scores 43, No. 9 Ohio State beats Rutgers 73-58 Mar 5
- No. 5 Maryland pulls away from Iowa 75-55 in Big Ten tourney Mar 4
- Iowa women race past Michigan in Big Ten second round Mar 3