Houston, UConn continue undefeated startJan 3, 2007 - 9:09 AM MORGANTOWN, West Virginia (Ticker) -- Unlike the Connecticut men's team, Charde Houston did not allow West Virginia to spoil an undefeated start.
Houston scored 16 points and Kalana Greene added 15 as fifth-ranked Connecticut posted a 63-44 road victory over West Virginia in a Big East Conference matchup.
Tina Charles had 13 points and 12 rebounds off the bench for the Huskies (12-2, 2-0 Big East), who held a 45-29 advantage on the boards.
The UConn men's team began the season with 11 straight wins before dropping an 81-71 loss here on Saturday.
Despite committing six turnovers in the opening minutes, Connecticut hit its stride thereafter, shooting 45 percent (14-of-31) from the field in the first half to grab a 40-24 lead at the break.
Laquita Owens scored 16 points and Yinka Sanni 13 for the Mountaineers (8-6, 0-2), who shot 29 percent (16-of-56) and committed 19 turnovers.
- NCAA WOMENS BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
CONNECTICUT (5) 40 23 63
WEST VIRGINIA 24 20 44 FINAL
Jan 2 9:53 PM
- NCAA WOMENS BB
CONNECTICUT (5) 40
WEST VIRGINIA 24 HALFTIME
Jan 2 8:53 PM
- Obama honors UConn women for another national championship May 10
- Duke's Azura Stevens transfers to UConn Apr 30
- UConn coach Geno Auriemma released from the hospital Apr 19
- UConn coach Auriemma hospitalized with undisclosed illness Apr 17
- UConn star Morgan Tuck to enter WNBA draft Apr 6
- Returning UConn players say they're ready to take baton Apr 6
- UConn skips campus parade due to weather, will rally indoors Apr 6
- Four-Peat: UConn beats 'Cuse for 4th straight national title Apr 6
- Syracuse-UConn Preview Apr 4
- Tuck and Stewart lead UConn back to the title game Apr 3
- Oregon St.-UConn Preview Apr 2
- Oregon State and UConn take different paths to Final Four Apr 2