A pair of milestones highlight Maryland's league openerJan 4, 2007 - 5:11 AM COLLEGE PARK, Maryland (Ticker) -- Laura Harper helped Maryland roll during a very memorable night.
Harper scored 17 points and Kristi Toliver added 15 and six assists for top-ranked Maryland, which posted an 80-61 victory over North Carolina State in the Atlantic Coast Conference opener for both schools.
Although they began league play with a win, the Lady Terrapins (16-0) had some more memorable accomplishments as coach Brenda Frese captured her 100th win with the school and senior guard Shay Doron moved into second place on the team's all-time scoring list.
Doron, who now has 1,681 points, finished with 10 and six assists and Crystal Langhorne scored 15 for Maryland, which raced to a 46-20 advantage at the half behind 50 percent (20-of-40) shooting.
Sa'de Wiley-Gatewood added 12 points off the bench for the Lady Terrapins, who coasted in the second half to their 22nd straight victory dating back to their 2005-06 national championship season.
Khadijah Whittington had 12 points and 15 rebounds for the Wolfpack (11-4), who dropped to 1-3 on the road this season despite holding a 43-35 advantage on the boards.
- NCAA WOMENS BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
NC STATE 20 41 61
MARYLAND (1) 46 34 80 FINAL
Jan 3 8:52 PM
- NCAA WOMENS BB
NC STATE 20
MARYLAND (1) 46 HALFTIME
Jan 3 7:50 PM
- Plum scores 32 as Washington stuns Maryland Mar 21
- Washington-Maryland Preview Mar 20
- Maryland, Washington: Opposites attract in 2nd round matchup Mar 20
- Maryland spoils Iona debut in NCAA Tournament with 74-58 win Mar 19
- Iona-Maryland Preview Mar 18
- In season of change, Maryland returns to NCAAs as No. 2 seed Mar 16
- No. 5 Maryland women top Northwestern 83-62 Mar 5
- No. 17 Syracuse beats NC State 80-61 in ACC quarterfinals Mar 4
- No. 5 Maryland pulls away from Iowa 75-55 in Big Ten tourney Mar 4
- NC State women beat Boston College 76-60 in ACC Tournament Mar 3
- No. 6 Maryland beats Minnesota 110-77 to win Big Ten title Feb 28
- Senior Moseley gives No. 6 Maryland women lift off bench Feb 27