Gay, defense carry Duke over MiamiJan 4, 2007 - 6:28 AM DURHAM, North Carolina (Ticker) -- Carrem Gay scored 12 points and pulled down 10 rebounds as third-ranked Duke rolled to a 72-42 victory over Miami in the Atlantic Coast Conference opener for both schools.
Alison Bales had 11 points and nine rebounds and Abby Waner scored 10 for the Blue Devils (15-0), who held the Hurricanes to 18.5 percent (5-of-27) shooting in the first half en route to grabbing a 37-14 lead at intermission.
Duke, which posted its 62nd straight win over a non-ranked foe, continued the defensive pressure thereafter, as Miami managed to shoot just 26 percent (15-of-57) and committed 23 turnovers.
Gay, who posted her second straight double-double, also had four of the Blue Devils' 15 steals.
Lindsay Harding scored nine points and Wanisha Smith eight for Duke, which finished with a 20-7 edge in points off turnovers and 53-41 advantage on the boards.
The ACC's leading scorer at 21.1 points coming in, Renee Taylor shot just 4-of-14 from the floor en route to 15 points for the Hurricanes (9-7), who lost for the fourth time in their last five games.
- NCAA WOMENS BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
MIAMI FL 14 28 42
DUKE (3) 37 35 72 FINAL
Jan 3 8:46 PM
- NCAA WOMENS BB
MIAMI FL 14
DUKE (3) 37 HALFTIME
Jan 3 7:47 PM
- Duke: Investigation over, McCallie to remain women's coach May 8
- Duke women's basketball adds transfer from Wagner May 3
- Duke: Human resources reviewing women's basketball program Apr 12
- Stevens, Salvadores leaving Duke women's basketball team Apr 1
- No. 12 South Dakota State stuns fifth-seeded Miami 74-71 Mar 19
- S. Dakota St.-Miami Preview Mar 18
- No. 2 Notre Dame beats No. 21 Miami 78-67 in ACC semifinals Mar 5
- No. 2 Notre Dame women beat Duke 83-54 in ACC quarterfinals Mar 4
- Thomas leads No. 21 Miami women past No. 14 FSU 74-56 Mar 4
- Chidom helps Duke women edge Virginia 57-53 Mar 3
- Motley, Hayes lead No. 21 Miami women past Pitt 77-55 Mar 3
- Romero lifts No. 12 FSU women past No. 17 Miami 70-67 Feb 28