Parker powers No. 4 Tennessee over AlabamaJan 4, 2007 - 6:57 AM KNOXVILLE, Tennessee (Ticker) -- Candace Parker made sure Tennessee opened conference play on a positive note.
Parker had 15 points and three blocks and Alberta Auguste scored 11 as the fourth-ranked Lady Vols rolled to a 72-36 triumph over Alabama in opener of the Southeastern Conference for both schools.
Tennessee (13-1, 1-0 SEC) jumped out to a 35-14 advantage through the first 20 minutes. It shot 48 percent (15-of-31) from the field.
The Lady Vols have won 31 consecutive games against the Crimson Tide, who fell to a lowly 2-38 in the all-time series.
Shannon Bobbitt and Alexis Hornbuckle both scored eight points for Tennessee, which shot 46 percent (26-of-56) overall and forced 35 turnovers.
Talisha Chandler netted 14 points for Alabama (10-6, 0-1), which shot 31 percent (15-of-47) and made just 2-of-12 from 3-point range.
- NCAA WOMENS BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
ALABAMA 14 22 36
TENNESSEE (4) 35 37 72 FINAL
Jan 3 8:54 PM
- NCAA WOMENS BB
TENNESSEE (4) 35 HALFTIME
Jan 3 7:51 PM
- Lady Vols sign junior-college forward Cheridene Green May 18
- Lady Vols add Winthrop graduate transfer Schaquilla Nunn May 3
- Warlick wants Lady Vols to have more consistent work ethic Apr 29
- Postseason surge gives Lady Vols reason for optimism Mar 28
- Syracuse women beat Lady Vols 89-67, head to 1st Final Four Mar 28
- Tennessee-Syracuse Preview Mar 26
- Syracuse, Tennessee women set for improbable regional final Mar 26
- Lady Vols' NCAA run continues with 78-62 win over Buckeyes Mar 26
- Tennessee-Ohio St. Preview Mar 24
- Short-handed Ohio St. women without Craft against Lady Vols Mar 24
- Lady Vols reach Sweet 16 after disappointing regular season Mar 23
- Tennessee knocks off Arizona State 75-64 in NCAAs Mar 21