Parker dunks as Tennessee women edge ConnecticutJan 7, 2007 - 1:00 AM HARTFORD, Connecticut (Ticker) -- Tennessee's Candace Parker added an exclamation point to the best rivalry in women's college basketball.
Parker had a dunk among her 30 points and added 12 rebounds and six blocks as No. 4 Tennessee held on for a 70-64 victory over previously unbeaten No. 5 Connecticut.
A steal by Sidney Spencer set up Parker's dunk early in the second half that gave the Lady Vols (14-1) a 45-29 lead.
"I just wanted a chance to dunk on Connecticut's court and I did," said Parker, who made 12-of-22 shots.
The Huskies responded with a surge that forged a 60-60 tie with under four minutes to go before Spencer drained a 3-pointer to give the Lady Vols the lead for good.
Spencer had 14 points, nine boards and three steals for Tennessee, which shot just 37 percent (26-of-70) but had 10 blocks and eight steals. The Lady Vols improved to 6-1 vs. ranked foes this season.
Charde Houston scored 23 points but was the only player in double figures for the Huskies (12-1), who shot 43 percent (26-of-60) and held a 44-40 advantage on the glass.
UConn has lost three straight in the series.
- AT HARTFORD CT
NCAA WOMENS BB FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
TENNESSEE (4) 41 29 70
CONNECTICUT (5) 29 35 64 FINAL
Jan 6 6:01 PM
- AT HARTFORD CT
NCAA WOMENS BB TENNESSEE (4) 41
CONNECTICUT (5) 29 HALFTIME
Jan 6 4:50 PM
- Lady Vols sign junior-college forward Cheridene Green May 18
- Obama honors UConn women for another national championship May 10
- Lady Vols add Winthrop graduate transfer Schaquilla Nunn May 3
- Duke's Azura Stevens transfers to UConn Apr 30
- Warlick wants Lady Vols to have more consistent work ethic Apr 29
- UConn coach Geno Auriemma released from the hospital Apr 19
- UConn coach Auriemma hospitalized with undisclosed illness Apr 17
- UConn star Morgan Tuck to enter WNBA draft Apr 6
- Returning UConn players say they're ready to take baton Apr 6
- UConn skips campus parade due to weather, will rally indoors Apr 6
- Four-Peat: UConn beats 'Cuse for 4th straight national title Apr 6
- Syracuse-UConn Preview Apr 4