Duke uses fast break to rout Virginia TechJan 7, 2007 - 8:17 PM BLACKSBURG, Virginia (Ticker) -- Abby Waner, Lindsey Harding and Duke ran all over Virginia Tech.
Waner and Harding both scored 20 points as the third-ranked Blue Devils continued its undefeated start with an 86-54 victory over the Hokies in an Atlantic Coast Conference contest.
Fellow guard Wanisha Smith added 14 points and six assists for Duke (16-0, 2-0 ACC), which finished with a 32-4 advantage in fast-break points.
Carrem Gay had 11 points and six rebounds for the Blue Devils, who built a 41-27 lead at the break and extended it to 63-41 midway through the second half.
Kirby Copeland scored 17 points and Nare Diawara 14 for Virginia Tech (10-7, 1-2), which shot 34 percent (20-of-59) from the field, including 1-of-12 on 3-pointers.
- NCAA WOMENS BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
DUKE (3) 41 45 86
VIRGINIA TECH 27 27 54 FINAL
Jan 7 2:35 PM
- NCAA WOMENS BB
DUKE (3) 41
VIRGINIA TECH 27 HALFTIME
Jan 7 1:23 PM
- Duke: Investigation over, McCallie to remain women's coach May 8
- Duke women's basketball adds transfer from Wagner May 3
- Duke: Human resources reviewing women's basketball program Apr 12
- Stevens, Salvadores leaving Duke women's basketball team Apr 1
- Virginia Tech hires James Madison's Brooks as women's coach Mar 28
- No. 2 Notre Dame women beat Duke 83-54 in ACC quarterfinals Mar 4
- Chidom helps Duke women edge Virginia 57-53 Mar 3
- BC beats Virginia Tech 49-37 in ACC women's tournament Mar 2
- Hof leads No. 18 Miami women to 67-56 OT win over Va Tech Feb 21
- Thomas, No. 10 Florida State women beat Duke 69-53 Feb 11
- No. 16 Miami women build early lead in beating Duke 61-53 Feb 7
- No. 3 Notre Dame women beat Duke 68-61 Feb 1