Smith scores 28 as Stanford tops South CarolinaJan 9, 2007 - 7:02 AM PALO ALTO, California (Ticker) -- Brooke Smith made 14-of-17 shots and scored a season-high 28 points to lead No. 12 Stanford to a 69-54 triumph over South Carolina.
Entering as the team's second-leading scorer (13.9), Smith hit her first six shots and topped the team in points for the fourth time this season. She also grabbed seven rebounds.
Candice Wiggins scored 15 points for Stanford (12-3), which won its 10th straight contest since losing to Georgia on November 26.
The Cardinal limited the Gamecocks (10-6) to less than 30 percent (20-of-67) shooting from the floor and posted a 47-36 rebounding advantage. South Carolina entered with an average rebound margin of 13.1.
Stacy Booker scored 17 points and was the lone player in double figures for South Carolina, which has lost two straight after winning five in a row.
- NCAA WOMENS BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
SOUTH CAROLINA 25 29 54
STANFORD (12) 36 33 69 FINAL
Jan 8 11:40 PM
- NCAA WOMENS BB
SOUTH CAROLINA 25
STANFORD (12) 36 HALFTIME
Jan 8 10:40 PM
- SEC women's basketball tourney returning to South Carolina May 16
- South Carolina, Dawn Staley looking to learn from setback Apr 27
- Staley: South Carolina reserve forward White to transfer Mar 31
- Gamecocks reserve G Kaydra Duckett leaving South Carolina Mar 30
- Staley wants South Carolina to remember NCAA Tournament loss Mar 28
- Washington women beat Stanford 85-76 to reach Final Four Mar 27
- Washington-Stanford Preview Mar 26
- Lexington Regional women's final features Pac-12 showdown Mar 26
- Stanford stuns Notre Dame 90-84 in regional semifinal Mar 26
- Syracuse women stun South Carolina 80-72 in regional semis Mar 25
- Stanford-Notre Dame Preview Mar 24
- Notre Dame, Stanford women facing off in Sweet 16 again Mar 24