Charles leads UConn to rout of SyracuseJan 13, 2007 - 10:37 PM STORRS, Connecticut (Ticker) -- Tina Charles more than helped Connecticut recover from its slow start.
Charles collected 14 points, 19 rebounds and five blocks as No. 5 Connecticut recorded a 76-45 Big East Conference victory over Syracuse.
Battling foul trouble, sophomore Kalana Greene scored a career-high 23 points to pace the Huskies (14-1, 4-0 Big East), who beat the Orange for a 15th straight time.
It was anything but a smooth start for the Huskies, who missed 10 of their first 11 shots before using a 15-0 run to take control. They built a 34-20 halftime lead.
Charles enjoyed the best game of her young career, making 5-of-8 shots and 4-of-5 free throws. Her 19 rebounds were the most by a Huskie since Swin Cash pulled down 20 on February 20, 2001 - a span of 206 games.
Vaida Sipaviciute scored 12 points, Fantasia Goodwin 11 and Nicole Michael and Cintia Johnson 10 apiece for Syracuse (8-10, 2-3), which shot a woeful 25.5 percent (13-of-51) and committed 24 turnovers.
- NCAA WOMENS BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
SYRACUSE 20 25 45
CONNECTICUT (5) 34 42 76 FINAL
Jan 13 3:51 PM
- NCAA WOMENS BB
CONNECTICUT (5) 34 HALFTIME
Jan 13 2:50 PM
- Wagner guard Jasmine Nwajei transferring to Syracuse May 17
- Obama honors UConn women for another national championship May 10
- Duke's Azura Stevens transfers to UConn Apr 30
- UConn coach Geno Auriemma released from the hospital Apr 19
- UConn coach Auriemma hospitalized with undisclosed illness Apr 17
- UConn star Morgan Tuck to enter WNBA draft Apr 6
- Returning UConn players say they're ready to take baton Apr 6
- UConn skips campus parade due to weather, will rally indoors Apr 6
- Syracuse defense cracks under UConn onslaught in title game Apr 6
- Four-Peat: UConn beats 'Cuse for 4th straight national title Apr 6
- Syracuse-UConn Preview Apr 4
- Syracuse hoping for big payoff from run to championship game Apr 4