Davenport, Ohio State roll to 21st straight Big Ten winJan 14, 2007 - 11:55 PM COLUMBUS, Ohio (Ticker) -- Jessica Davenport led the charge as Ohio State continued its hunt for history.
Davenport scored 22 points and grabbed 12 rebounds as eighth-ranked Ohio State captured its eighth straight win with a 70-42 Big Ten Conference victory over Northwestern.
Also posting its 21st consecutive league win, the Buckeyes (15-1, 4-0 Big Ten) matched the school record for the best start through 16 games. The overall record is 17-1, set by the 1973-74 squad.
Davenport, who needs just 21 points to become the 11th league player to score 2,000, shot 7-of-10 from the field and grabbed four offensive boards.
Star Allen had 18 points and Ashlee Trebilcock added nine for Ohio State, which shot 60.9 percent (14-of-23) from the floor in the first half to grab a 39-23 lead at the break. That advantage continued to grow as the Buckeyes finished 50 percent (27-of-54).
Julie Bielawski scored 11 points and Sara Stutz 10 for Northwestern (6-12, 0-5), which was outrebounded, 45-25, in losing its 10th straight league contest dating to last season.
- NCAA WOMENS BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
NORTHWESTERN 23 19 42
OHIO ST (8) 39 31 70 FINAL
Jan 14 3:34 PM
- NCAA WOMENS BB
OHIO ST (8) 39 HALFTIME
Jan 14 2:42 PM
- Lady Vols' NCAA run continues with 78-62 win over Buckeyes Mar 26
- Tennessee-Ohio St. Preview Mar 24
- Short-handed Ohio St. women without Craft against Lady Vols Mar 24
- Ohio State advances to Sweet 16 with win over West Virginia Mar 20
- West Virginia-Ohio St. Preview Mar 19
- West Virginia, Ohio State clash in 2nd round of tournament Mar 19
- Ohio State smothers Buffalo to advance in NCAA Tournament Mar 18
- Buffalo-Ohio St. Preview Mar 17
- No. 19 Spartans, special Powers rout No. 9 Buckeyes 82-63 Mar 5
- No. 5 Maryland women top Northwestern 83-62 Mar 5
- Mitchell scores 43, No. 9 Ohio State beats Rutgers 73-58 Mar 5
- Coffey, Northwestern women upset Indiana in Big Ten Mar 4