Purdue coach Versyp wins in first meeting with former teamJan 15, 2007 - 3:33 AM WEST LAFAYETTE, Indiana (Ticker) -- Katie Gearlds made the most of a tough situation for coach Sharon Versyp.
Gearlds scored 20 points as No. 13 Purdue posted a 73-51 Big Ten Conference victory over Indiana, giving Versyp a win in her first meeting with her former team.
A former player with the Boilermakers, Versyp became Purdue's coach last April after spending one season with the Hoosiers, guiding them to a 19-14 record and a 9-7 league mark.
Although it may have been an emotional situation for Versyp, Gearlds made the loss for Indiana (13-6, 2-4 Big Ten) a foregone conclusion, shooting 7-of-14 to reach 20 points for the ninth time this season.
FahKara Malone scored 15 points and Erin Lawless added 14 for Purdue (16-3, 5-0), which grabbed a 33-24 lead at the half before improving to 9-0 at home.
Although they shot just 37 percent (23-of-62) from the floor, the Boilermakers held a 52-34 advantage on the boards, turning 19 offensive rebounds into 25 second-chance points. Reserve center Danielle Campbell finished with a career-high 14 boards.
Nikki Smith scored 13 points and Whitney Thomas 10 for the Hoosiers, who were held to 29 percent (19-of-65) from the field, including 5-of-20 (25 percent) on 3-pointers.
- NCAA WOMENS BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
INDIANA 24 27 51
PURDUE (13) 33 40 73 FINAL
Jan 14 4:59 PM
- Allen scores 22, leads Notre Dame to 87-70 win over Indiana Mar 21
- Indiana-Notre Dame Preview Mar 20
- Indiana looks to knock off in-state rival Notre Dame Mar 20
- Buss scores 23, No. 9 seed Indiana defeats Georgia 62-58 Mar 20
- No. 6 seed Oklahoma tops No. 11 Purdue 61-45 in NCAA Mar 19
- Purdue-Oklahoma Preview Mar 18
- Indiana-Georgia Preview Mar 18
- Powers leads No. 19 Michigan St. women past Purdue 65-64 Mar 4
- Coffey, Northwestern women upset Indiana in Big Ten Mar 4
- Purdue women top Penn State, 70-59; face Michigan State Mar 3
- No. 5 Maryland never trails in 73-59 win over Purdue Feb 11
- Walker-Kimbrough scores 41, No. 5 Maryland women beat Purdue Feb 2