Latta steps up to continue UNC's undefeated startJan 16, 2007 - 4:47 AM CHAPEL HILL, North Carolina (Ticker) -- Ivory Latta did not a have a great game but made her best shot count.
Latta hit the go-ahead 3-pointer with 61 seconds remaining as second-ranked North Carolina overcame a late charge by No. 5 Connecticut for an 82-76 victory.
Although she finished 4-of-13 from the field, Latta stepped up her play in the second half, scoring 12 of her 14 points, including a shot from the arc that snapped a 74-74 tie with just over a minute left.
Latta also made two free throws with 39 seconds left for the Tar Heels (20-0), who remained undefeated despite watching a 15-point lead in the second half disappear.
Falling behind, 60-45, on a basket by UNC's Camille Little with 13:15 remaining, the Huskies (14-2) stormed back with a 25-8 run to pull ahead 70-68 on a short jumper by Renee Montgomery with 4:52 to play.
The Tar Heels managed to tie the score on three different occasions before going back ahead 76-74 on a basket by LaToya Pringle with 2:35 left. UConn retied the score once again on a field goal by Kalana Greene before Latta's big 3-pointer.
Pringle scored 18 points and Erlana Larkins added 15 and 16 rebounds for UNC, which shot 47.6 percent (30-of-63) and held a 46-32 advantage on the boards.
Greene scored 23 points and Brittany Hunter added 10 and nine rebounds for the Huskies, who managed just 17 points on 26 turnovers by the Tar Heels in losing for the third time in the series.
- NCAA WOMENS BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
CONNECTICUT (5) 36 40 76
NORTH CAROLINA (2) 41 41 82 FINAL
Jan 15 9:12 PM
- NCAA WOMENS BB
CONNECTICUT (5) 36
NORTH CAROLINA (2) 41 HALFTIME
Jan 15 7:55 PM
- Obama honors UConn women for another national championship May 10
- Duke's Azura Stevens transfers to UConn Apr 30
- UConn coach Geno Auriemma released from the hospital Apr 19
- UConn coach Auriemma hospitalized with undisclosed illness Apr 17
- UConn star Morgan Tuck to enter WNBA draft Apr 6
- Returning UConn players say they're ready to take baton Apr 6
- UConn skips campus parade due to weather, will rally indoors Apr 6
- Four-Peat: UConn beats 'Cuse for 4th straight national title Apr 6
- Syracuse-UConn Preview Apr 4
- Tuck and Stewart lead UConn back to the title game Apr 3
- Oregon St.-UConn Preview Apr 2
- Oregon State and UConn take different paths to Final Four Apr 2