Pittsburgh surge puts away SyracuseJan 17, 2007 - 7:01 AM SYRACUSE, New York (Ticker) -- Pittsburgh had one run too many for Syracuse.
Xenia Stewart scored 20 points to lead the 25th-ranked Panthers to an 84-75 Big East Conference victory over the Orange.
Pittsburgh (14-3, 2-2) led by as many as 20 points en route to a 41-28 halftime advantage before Syracuse rallied to pull within 51-50. The Panthers countered with a 21-5 spurt to open the lead to 72-55 with 6 1/2 minutes to play.
Shavonte Zellous scored 19 points, Marcedes Walker added 17 and Karlyle Lim 16 as four starters combined for 72 of the Panthers' 84 points.
Fantasia Goodin Goodwin scored 22 points to lead Syracuse (8-11, 2-4), which converted 28-of-36 free throws but hit just one 3-pointer in 10 attempts.
Vaida Sipaviciute added 19 points and Nicole Michael had 18 and 11 rebounds for the Orange.
- NCAA WOMENS BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
PITTSBURGH (25) 41 43 84
SYRACUSE 28 47 75 FINAL
Jan 16 8:51 PM
- NCAA WOMENS BB
PITTSBURGH (25) 41
SYRACUSE 28 HALFTIME
Jan 16 7:41 PM
- Wagner guard Jasmine Nwajei transferring to Syracuse May 17
- Syracuse defense cracks under UConn onslaught in title game Apr 6
- Four-Peat: UConn beats 'Cuse for 4th straight national title Apr 6
- Syracuse-UConn Preview Apr 4
- Syracuse hoping for big payoff from run to championship game Apr 4
- Syracuse women beat Washington 80-59, reach NCAA title game Apr 4
- Washington-Syracuse Preview Apr 2
- Huskies, Orange try to keep changes under wraps for rematch Apr 2
- Syracuse women reach new heights under Coach Q Mar 31
- Syracuse women beat Lady Vols 89-67, head to 1st Final Four Mar 28
- Tennessee-Syracuse Preview Mar 26
- Syracuse, Tennessee women set for improbable regional final Mar 26