Duke uses strong defensive effort to shut down NC StateJan 19, 2007 - 3:11 AM RALEIGH, North Carolina (Ticker) -- On a night it did not have the greatest offensive performance, Duke certainly delivered a fine defensive effort for coach Gail Goestenkors.
The top-ranked Blue Devils limited North Carolina State to just 23.5 percent shooting in the second half to pull away for a 65-51 Atlantic Coast Conference victory.
Lindsey Harding and Brittany Mitch led a balanced scoring effort with 10 points apiece for Duke (19-0, 5-0 ACC), which had seven players produce at least seven points.
The Blue Devils limited the Wolfpack to 31 percent (18-of-58) shooting from the field, including just 8-of-34 after the break, to remain undefeated. Duke, which shot 43 percent (26-of-60), held just a 34-28 edge after the first half.
Gillian Goring collected 15 points and 10 rebounds for NC State (13-6, 2-2) but made just 6-of-18 shots.
The Wolfpack misfired on all seven of their shots from the arc. Duke made 4-of-13 3-pointers.
- NCAA WOMENS BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
DUKE (1) 34 31 65
NC STATE 28 23 51 FINAL
Jan 18 8:47 PM
- NCAA WOMENS BB
DUKE (1) 34
NC STATE 28 HALFTIME
Jan 18 7:48 PM
- Duke: Investigation over, McCallie to remain women's coach May 8
- Duke women's basketball adds transfer from Wagner May 3
- Duke: Human resources reviewing women's basketball program Apr 12
- Stevens, Salvadores leaving Duke women's basketball team Apr 1
- No. 17 Syracuse beats NC State 80-61 in ACC quarterfinals Mar 4
- No. 2 Notre Dame women beat Duke 83-54 in ACC quarterfinals Mar 4
- NC State women beat Boston College 76-60 in ACC Tournament Mar 3
- Chidom helps Duke women edge Virginia 57-53 Mar 3
- No. 12 Florida State women hold off NC State 56-52 Feb 25
- Thomas, No. 10 Florida State women beat Duke 69-53 Feb 11
- No. 16 Miami women build early lead in beating Duke 61-53 Feb 7
- Cable scores 25, No. 3 Notre Dame defeats NC State 82-46 Feb 4