Ellis scores 24 as Marquette holds on vs. ProvidenceJan 20, 2007 - 10:12 PM PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island (Ticker) -- Krystal Ellis scored on a driving layup with 11 seconds as No. 19 Marquette held off pesky Providence, 79-77, in Big East Conference action.
Ellis scored 24 points, made five 3-pointers and added seven assists and Christina Quaye contributed 16 points and seven rebounds for Marquette (17-2, 5-1 Big East), which had a 19-point lead late in the first half.
Chelsea Marandola and Shauna Snyder scored 20 points each for Providence (12-7, 2-4), which shot 49 percent (30-of-61) but could not hold a four-point lead with 1:37 remaining in the contest.
Providence freshman Kendria Holmes put the Friars on top, 77-76, with a driving layup with 21 seconds remaining before Ellis responded for the Golden Eagles.
Holmes missed a potential game-winning layup with seconds remaining for Providence. Marquette's Danielle Kamm grabbed the rebound and was fouled as time expires. She split two free throws to secure the victory.
- NCAA WOMENS BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
MARQUETTE (19) 45 34 79
PROVIDENCE 28 49 77 FINAL
Jan 20 3:52 PM
- NCAA WOMENS BB
MARQUETTE (19) 45
PROVIDENCE 28 HALFTIME
Jan 20 2:43 PM
- Providence hires St. Bonaventure's Crowley as women's coach May 10
- No. 19 DePaul women beat Marquette 98-65 Feb 27
- Podkowa leads No. 21 DePaul women past Providence 91-68 Feb 19
- No. 24 DePaul women roll to 96-50 win over Providence Jan 24
- Jenkins, No. 25 DePaul women beat Marquette 91-86 Dec 29
- No. 21 Arizona State defeats Marquette 90-80 Dec 20
- Hamblin helps No. 7 Oregon St to 65-58 win over Marquette Dec 3
- Marquette names Kieger women's hoops coach May 2
- Marquette's Mitchell won't return as women's hoops coach Apr 9
- Diggins paces No. 2 Notre Dame past Providence Mar 2
- Notre Dame stays hot with rout of Marquette Feb 17
- No. 3 UConn cruises past Providence Feb 12