Davenport passes 2,000 points; Ohio State cruises by IllinoisJan 21, 2007 - 10:02 PM COLUMBUS, Ohio (Ticker) -- Jessica Davenport did something only one other Ohio State player accomplished in school history.
Davenport scored 22 points, grabbed nine rebounds and had four blocks as the No. 7 Buckeyes posted a 62-52 Big Ten Conference victory over Illinois.
Star Allen scored 11 points and Brandie Hoskins and Marcilla Packer each added 10 for Ohio State (17-1), which matched the 1973-74 team for the best start in school history.
Davenport surpased 2,000 points to join former Ohio State All-American Katie Smith (2,578) as the only two Ohio State players to reach that mark. The Wooden Award candidate now has 2,017 points to become the 11th Big Ten player in history to crack that barrier.
Hoskins also had five assists for the Buckeyes, who are 11-0 when the senior guard reaches that mark.
Ohio State, which shot 45 percent (23-of-51), ran it's conference winnning streak to 23 games, its longest run since winning 36 straight from the 1983-86.
Danyel Crutcher and Jenna Smith each scored 12 points and Lori Bjork added 11 for Illinois (14-5, 4-3 Big Ten), which shot just 30 percent (19-of-63).
- NCAA WOMENS BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
ILLINOIS 21 31 52
OHIO ST (7) 35 27 62 FINAL
Jan 21 3:40 PM
- Illinois women lose leading scorer Chatrice White Apr 15
- Lady Vols' NCAA run continues with 78-62 win over Buckeyes Mar 26
- Tennessee-Ohio St. Preview Mar 24
- Short-handed Ohio St. women without Craft against Lady Vols Mar 24
- Illinois athletic director: Women's coach will be back Mar 23
- Ohio State advances to Sweet 16 with win over West Virginia Mar 20
- West Virginia-Ohio St. Preview Mar 19
- West Virginia, Ohio State clash in 2nd round of tournament Mar 19
- Ohio State smothers Buffalo to advance in NCAA Tournament Mar 18
- Buffalo-Ohio St. Preview Mar 17
- No. 19 Spartans, special Powers rout No. 9 Buckeyes 82-63 Mar 5
- Mitchell scores 43, No. 9 Ohio State beats Rutgers 73-58 Mar 5