Top-ranked Duke holds off TennesseeJan 23, 2007 - 3:36 AM KNOXVILLE, Tennessee (Ticker) -- Duke was on the verge of a historic rout but instead had to hold on to avert an embarrassing collapse.
Abby Waner scored 24 points and Lindsey Harding added 21 as the top-ranked Blue Devils posted a 74-70 victory over No. 4 Tennessee.
Duke (20-0), which matched the best start in school history, stormed out to a 19-0 lead behind 10 points from Waner and appeared poised to inflict a beating similar to the 75-53 defeat it dealt Tennessee on January 23, 2006.
The Lady Vols (17-2) finally got on the board with 14:02 to play, but the lead grew to 28-7 before a late rally got Tennessee within 38-27 at halftime.
After Harding opened the second half with a jumper, the Lady Vols responsed with a 21-8 spurt and finally pulled into a tie at 48-48 on star forward Candace Parker's three-point play with 10:48 left.
Harding answered with a three-point play and scored eight points in a 14-5 surge to put the Blue Devils ahead, 62-53, with just under 6 1/2 minutes to go.
Tennessee got within a basket on Alberte Auguste's 3-pointer with seven seconds left, but Harding sealed it with two free throws.
Parker had 22 points and 10 rebounds for the Lady Vols, who had an 11-game winning streak snapped.
- NCAA WOMENS BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
DUKE (1) 38 36 74
TENNESSEE (4) 27 43 70 FINAL
Jan 22 9:05 PM
- NCAA WOMENS BB
DUKE (1) 38
TENNESSEE (4) 27 HALFTIME
Jan 22 7:49 PM
- Lady Vols sign junior-college forward Cheridene Green May 18
- Duke: Investigation over, McCallie to remain women's coach May 8
- Lady Vols add Winthrop graduate transfer Schaquilla Nunn May 3
- Duke women's basketball adds transfer from Wagner May 3
- Warlick wants Lady Vols to have more consistent work ethic Apr 29
- Duke: Human resources reviewing women's basketball program Apr 12
- Stevens, Salvadores leaving Duke women's basketball team Apr 1
- Postseason surge gives Lady Vols reason for optimism Mar 28
- Syracuse women beat Lady Vols 89-67, head to 1st Final Four Mar 28
- Tennessee-Syracuse Preview Mar 26
- Syracuse, Tennessee women set for improbable regional final Mar 26
- Lady Vols' NCAA run continues with 78-62 win over Buckeyes Mar 26