Smith, Stanford roll past ArizonaJan 26, 2007 - 4:31 AM TUCSON, Arizona (Ticker) -- Brooke Smith and Stanford easily had their way with Pac-10 Conference rival Arizona.
Smith collected 20 points, 10 rebounds and seven assists as the ninth-ranked Cardinal opened a huge first-half advantage before posting an 86-76 triumph over the Wildcats.
Candice Wiggins and reserve Jayne Appel added 18 points apiece for Stanford (17-3, 10-0 Pac-10), which led by as many as 22 points in the first half and took a 44-25 advantage into the break.
Reserve Cissy Pierce scored 15 points and Kristin Newlin chipped in 10 and 11 rebounds for the Cardinal, who made half of their shots from the field in both halves.
Joy Hollingsworth scored 13 points and Amina Njonkou added 10 and 12 rebounds for Arizona (7-15, 1-9), which shot just 36 percent (10-of-28) in the first half.
The Wildcats connected on 53 percent (17-of-32) after the break, during which they outscored the visitors, 51-42.
- NCAA WOMENS BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
STANFORD (9) 44 42 86
ARIZONA 25 51 76 FINAL
Jan 25 10:55 PM
- NCAA WOMENS BB
STANFORD (9) 44
ARIZONA 25 HALFTIME
Jan 25 9:46 PM
- Arizona hires Barnes as next women's basketball coach Apr 4
- Washington women beat Stanford 85-76 to reach Final Four Mar 27
- Washington-Stanford Preview Mar 26
- Lexington Regional women's final features Pac-12 showdown Mar 26
- Stanford stuns Notre Dame 90-84 in regional semifinal Mar 26
- Stanford-Notre Dame Preview Mar 24
- Notre Dame, Stanford women facing off in Sweet 16 again Mar 24
- Thompson's 3-point play with 8.2 seconds left lifts Stanford Mar 22
- S. Dakota St.-Stanford Preview Mar 20
- Stanford coach Tara VanDerveer influences so many coaches Mar 20
- Stanford's Tara VanDerveer beats former star Azzi in NCAAs Mar 20
- San Francisco-Stanford Preview Mar 18