Texas A&M hands Oklahoma first Big 12 lossJan 27, 2007 - 8:34 PM NORMAN, Oklahoma (Ticker) -- Morenike Atunrase scored 18 points and Takia Starks hit a big shot in the final minutes to lead No. 20 Texas A&M to a 54-52 victory over No. 6 Oklahoma in a Big 12 Conference matchup.
Texas A&M (15-4, 5-2 Big 12) trailed 26-20 at the half but rallied to take its first lead, 41-40, with 9:14 to play. The Aggies extended the lead to 46-40 on a pair of free throws by Danielle Gant with 7:52 remaining.
Oklahoma (17-2, 7-1) closed to within 50-48 on a 3-pointer by Erin Higgins with 2:21 left but Starks answered with a 3-pointer on the Aggies' ensuing possession.
Higgins hit another 3-pointer with 62 seconds to play and Leah Rush had a chance to tie the game but she split a pair of free throws with six seconds left. LaToya Micheaux made one of two free throws to give Texas A&M a 54-52 lead and Gant preserved the win by blocking a 3-pointer by Kendra Moore at the buzzer.
Rush had 16 points and Courtney Paris added 12 and 20 rebounds for the Sooners, who committed 28 turnovers. Paris added six blocks and two steals but shot just 4-of-12 from the field.
- NCAA WOMENS BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
TEXAS A&M (20) 20 34 54
OKLAHOMA (6) 26 26 52 FINAL
Jan 27 2:10 PM
- NCAA WOMENS BB
TEXAS A&M (20) 20
OKLAHOMA (6) 26 HALFTIME
Jan 27 12:56 PM
- Kentucky pulls away from Oklahoma 79-58 in NCAA second round Mar 21
- Bulgak's 18 points lead Florida St. to 74-56 win over A&M Mar 21
- Oklahoma-Kentucky Preview Mar 20
- No. 3 Kentucky, No. 6 Oklahoma aim to keep up the good work Mar 20
- Florida St.-Texas A&M Preview Mar 20
- Texas A&M's Howard and FSU's Thomas key in 2nd round matchup Mar 20
- No. 6 seed Oklahoma tops No. 11 Purdue 61-45 in NCAA Mar 19
- Howard sets NCAA Tournament rebound record in Aggies win Mar 19
- Texas A&M suspends Courtney Williams and Shlonte Allen Mar 19
- Missouri St.-Texas A&M Preview Mar 18
- Purdue-Oklahoma Preview Mar 18
- Jones leads No. 4 Baylor in 84-57 win over No. 24 Oklahoma Mar 6