Double-double by Charles lifts Connecticut to victoryFeb 4, 2007 - 4:36 AM MILWAUKEE (Ticker) -- Tina Charles scored 20 points and grabbed 14 rebounds to lead No. 5 Connecticut to its sixth straight win, a 52-48 Big East Conference victory over No. 18 Marquette.
Connecticut (20-2, 10-0 Big East) held a 31-20 halftime lead before Marquette (19-4, 7-3) rallied and closed the deficit to 50-48 on a pair of free throws by Christina Quaye with 36 seconds left. Quaye collected 20 points and nine rebounds.
However, Renee Montgomery sealed the win game for Connecticut with a pair of free throws with 11 seconds to play.
Montgomery scored 12 points for the Huskies, who shot 40 percent (23-of-58) from the field.
Krystal Ellis scored 10 points and Jasmine McCullough grabbed 11 rebounds for the Golden Eagles, who shot just 31 percent (18-of-58).
- NCAA WOMENS BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
CONNECTICUT (5) 31 21 52
MARQUETTE (18) 20 28 48 FINAL
Feb 3 9:55 PM
- NCAA WOMENS BB
CONNECTICUT (5) 31
MARQUETTE (18) 20 HALFTIME
Feb 3 8:50 PM
- Obama honors UConn women for another national championship May 10
- Duke's Azura Stevens transfers to UConn Apr 30
- UConn coach Geno Auriemma released from the hospital Apr 19
- UConn coach Auriemma hospitalized with undisclosed illness Apr 17
- UConn star Morgan Tuck to enter WNBA draft Apr 6
- Returning UConn players say they're ready to take baton Apr 6
- UConn skips campus parade due to weather, will rally indoors Apr 6
- Four-Peat: UConn beats 'Cuse for 4th straight national title Apr 6
- Syracuse-UConn Preview Apr 4
- Tuck and Stewart lead UConn back to the title game Apr 3
- Oregon St.-UConn Preview Apr 2
- Oregon State and UConn take different paths to Final Four Apr 2