Fowles helps LSU hold off South CarolinaFeb 4, 2007 - 11:31 PM COLUMBIA, South Carolina (Ticker) -- Sylvia Fowles got a second chance and made the most of it.
Fowles hit two free throws with 1:38 to lift No. 7 Louisiana State to a 49-46 Southeastern Conference victory over South Carolina.
A 6-6 junior center, Fowles scored 23 points and grabbed 20 rebounds to help the Lady Tigers (21-3, 7-2 SEC) avoid a second straight defeat.
LSU was leading by a point when Fowles stepped to the line for a 1-and-1 but missed the first. However, South Carolina's Lakesha Tolliver was called for a lane violation, and Fowles got another chance.
This time, she made both. The Lady Tigers survived a pair of potential tying 3-pointers in the final 10 seconds.
Fowles was the only played to score in double figures for LSU, which shot a season-low 28 percent (16-of-58) from the field.
Melanie Johnson came off the bench to collect 11 points, nine rebounds, three blocks and three steals for South Carolina (13-11, 3-6).
- NCAA WOMENS BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
LSU (7) 28 21 49
SOUTH CAROLINA 25 21 46 FINAL
Feb 4 4:49 PM
- NCAA WOMENS BB
LSU (7) 28
SOUTH CAROLINA 25 HALFTIME
Feb 4 3:43 PM
- SEC women's basketball tourney returning to South Carolina May 16
- South Carolina, Dawn Staley looking to learn from setback Apr 27
- Staley: South Carolina reserve forward White to transfer Mar 31
- Gamecocks reserve G Kaydra Duckett leaving South Carolina Mar 30
- Staley wants South Carolina to remember NCAA Tournament loss Mar 28
- Syracuse women stun South Carolina 80-72 in regional semis Mar 25
- Syracuse-South Carolina Preview Mar 24
- Syracuse's press will be challenge for South Carolina women Mar 24
- Gamecocks' A'ja Wilson poised for run to top of women's game Mar 22
- Mitchell powers South Carolina into Sweet 16 with 73-47 win Mar 20
- Kansas St.-South Carolina Preview Mar 19
- Top seeded South Carolina led by dominating duo in NCAA play Mar 19