Hampton, California rally to upset No. 9 StanfordFeb 5, 2007 - 1:10 AM PALO ALTO, California (Ticker) -- After treading water in the first half, Devanei Hampton and No. 21 California erupted to upset an intrastate rival.
Hampton scored 22 points and grabbed 14 rebounds as the Golden Bears rallied for a 72-57 victory over ninth-ranked Stanford in a Pac-10 Conference clash.
It was the third straight win for California (18-5, 8-4 Pac-10), which ended a 14-game skid against the Cardinal (19-4, 11-1). Stanford had not lost to the Golden Bears since February 16, 2001.
The Golden Bears trailed, 31-30, at halftime before shooting 59 percent (10-of-17) from the floor in the final 20 minutes. Cal also consistently attacked the basket in the second half, shooting 21-of-35 from the free-throw line.
Natasha Vital scored 19 points and dished out six assists while Lauren Greif added 15 points for the Golden Bears, who snapped Stanford's 17-game winning streak.
Candice Wiggins scored 17 points on 5-of-14 shooting for the Cardinal, who shot just 27 percent (17-of-64), including 8-of-34 in the second half.
- Washington women beat Stanford 85-76 to reach Final Four Mar 27
- Washington-Stanford Preview Mar 26
- Lexington Regional women's final features Pac-12 showdown Mar 26
- Stanford stuns Notre Dame 90-84 in regional semifinal Mar 26
- Stanford-Notre Dame Preview Mar 24
- Notre Dame, Stanford women facing off in Sweet 16 again Mar 24
- Thompson's 3-point play with 8.2 seconds left lifts Stanford Mar 22
- S. Dakota St.-Stanford Preview Mar 20
- Stanford coach Tara VanDerveer influences so many coaches Mar 20
- Stanford's Tara VanDerveer beats former star Azzi in NCAAs Mar 20
- Tara VanDerveer, former star Jennifer Azzi take NCAA stage Mar 18
- San Francisco-Stanford Preview Mar 18