Trio powers Connecticut over RutgersFeb 7, 2007 - 4:50 AM STORRS, Connecticut (Ticker) -- Connecticut's inside strength was too much for Rutgers to handle.
Charde Houston, freshman Tina Charles and Kalana Greene all registered double-doubles to power the fourth-ranked Huskies to a 60-50 victory over the 23rd-ranked Scarlet Knights.
UConn (21-2, 11-0 Big East) remained unbeaten in conference play behind Houston, who had 16 points and 11 rebounds, and Charles and Greene, who added 15 and 10 apiece.
That helped offset a combined 2-of-15 shooting performance by the Huskies' starting backcourt of Renee Montgomery and Mel Thomas.
Leading at halftime, 30-23, Connecticut scored the first 10 points of the second half, including six by Greene, to take a commanding 17-point advantage.
Rutgers (14-7, 7-3) never got closer than nine the rest of the way.
Kia Vaughn had 16 points and eight rebounds for the Scarlet Knights, who committed 20 turnovers.
- Obama honors UConn women for another national championship May 10
- Duke's Azura Stevens transfers to UConn Apr 30
- UConn coach Geno Auriemma released from the hospital Apr 19
- UConn coach Auriemma hospitalized with undisclosed illness Apr 17
- UConn star Morgan Tuck to enter WNBA draft Apr 6
- Returning UConn players say they're ready to take baton Apr 6
- UConn skips campus parade due to weather, will rally indoors Apr 6
- Four-Peat: UConn beats 'Cuse for 4th straight national title Apr 6
- Syracuse-UConn Preview Apr 4
- Tuck and Stewart lead UConn back to the title game Apr 3
- Oregon St.-UConn Preview Apr 2
- Oregon State and UConn take different paths to Final Four Apr 2