Stanford clamps down on Washington StateFeb 9, 2007 - 6:41 AM PALO ALTO, California (Ticker) -- Stanford's defense quickly took any suspense out of the outcome against Washington State.
Jayne Appel had 19 points and 14 rebounds to lead the 11th-ranked Cardinal to a 60-34 Pac-10 Conference victory over the Lady Cougars.
Stanford (20-4, 12-1 Pac-10) limited Washington State to 11 points in the first half on 10 percent (3-of-29) shooting to take a 17-point lead.
Candice Wiggins scored 16 points and Brooke Smith added 12 and seven rebounds for the Cardinal, who dominated the glass, 49-35.
Amanda Durocher was the only player in double figures with 10 points for Washington State (5-19, 1-13), which finished shooting 17 percent (10-of-59) for the game.
- NCAA WOMENS BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
WASHINGTON ST 11 23 34
STANFORD (11) 28 32 60 FINAL
Feb 8 11:44 PM
- NCAA WOMENS BB
WASHINGTON ST 11
STANFORD (11) 28 HALFTIME
Feb 8 10:44 PM
- Washington women beat Stanford 85-76 to reach Final Four Mar 27
- Washington-Stanford Preview Mar 26
- Lexington Regional women's final features Pac-12 showdown Mar 26
- Stanford stuns Notre Dame 90-84 in regional semifinal Mar 26
- Stanford-Notre Dame Preview Mar 24
- Notre Dame, Stanford women facing off in Sweet 16 again Mar 24
- Thompson's 3-point play with 8.2 seconds left lifts Stanford Mar 22
- S. Dakota St.-Stanford Preview Mar 20
- Stanford coach Tara VanDerveer influences so many coaches Mar 20
- Stanford's Tara VanDerveer beats former star Azzi in NCAAs Mar 20
- Tara VanDerveer, former star Jennifer Azzi take NCAA stage Mar 18
- San Francisco-Stanford Preview Mar 18