Prince's big second half lifts Rutgers over West VirginiaFeb 12, 2007 - 2:22 AM PISCATAWAY, New Jersey (Ticker) -- Freshman Epiphanny Prince once again had to shake off a rough start.
Prince scored all 12 of her points in the second half as No. 23 Rutgers posted a 55-49 victory over West Virginia in a Big East Conference contest.
Failing to score in the opening half of her second straight game, Prince sank four 3-pointers after intermission to help the Scarlet Knights rally from a 21-18 halftime deficit.
Rutgers' leading scorer at 14.6 points, Prince also was held scoreless in the opening 20 minutes before finishing with 11 points in a 60-50 loss at Connecticut on Tuesday.
Essence Carson had 15 points and 11 rebounds and Kia Vaughn added 10 and seven for Rutgers (15-7, 8-3 Big East), which shot 6-of-12 from the arc in the second half en route to outscoring West Virginia after the break, 37-28.
LaQuita Owens scored 22 points and Chakhia Cole added 15 for the Mountaineers (16-9, 7-5), who finished 38 percent (17-of-45) from the field and fell to 1-5 against ranked teams this season.
West Virginia's leading scorer Olayinka Sanni was held to two points, 12 below her average.
- NCAA WOMENS BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
WEST VIRGINIA 21 28 49
RUTGERS (23) 18 37 55 FINAL
Feb 11 5:17 PM
- NCAA WOMENS BB
WEST VIRGINIA 21
RUTGERS (23) 18 HALFTIME
Feb 11 4:02 PM
- Ohio State advances to Sweet 16 with win over West Virginia Mar 20
- West Virginia-Ohio St. Preview Mar 19
- West Virginia, Ohio State clash in 2nd round of tournament Mar 19
- West Virginia tops Princeton in women's NCAA Tournament Mar 18
- Princeton-West Virginia Preview Mar 17
- No. 22 West Virginia women top Kansas St. in Big 12 tourney Mar 5
- Mitchell scores 43, No. 9 Ohio State beats Rutgers 73-58 Mar 5
- Rutgers comes back to edge Nebraska 66-63 in Big Ten tourney Mar 3
- No. 22 West Virginia women cruise past Iowa State 82-57 Mar 1
- West Virginia women whip No. 22 Oklahoma State 82-48 Feb 27
- No. 6 Maryland women beat Rutgers 73-59 Feb 21
- McCarty leads No. 8 Texas past West Virginia 73-50 Feb 21