Connecticut pounds out easy win over LouisvilleFeb 14, 2007 - 4:31 AM STORRS, Connecticut (Ticker) -- Renee Montgomery and Connecticut got off to a fast start and never looked back.
Montgomery scored 20 points and the fourth-ranked Huskies played suffocating defense from the start en route to an 84-56 victory over No. 19 Louisville in a Big East Conference matchup.
Montgomery added seven assists while Mel Thomas and Charde Houston each scored 19 points for the Huskies (23-2, 12-0 Big East).
UConn held Louisville (22-4, 8-4) scoreless for the first 4:48 of the game while going on a 16-0 run that was highlighted by back-to-back 3-pointers by Thomas and Montgomery.
Angel McCoughtry scored 28 points for Louisville but no other Cardinal player had more than six points.
- Obama honors UConn women for another national championship May 10
- Duke's Azura Stevens transfers to UConn Apr 30
- UConn coach Geno Auriemma released from the hospital Apr 19
- UConn coach Auriemma hospitalized with undisclosed illness Apr 17
- UConn star Morgan Tuck to enter WNBA draft Apr 6
- Returning UConn players say they're ready to take baton Apr 6
- UConn skips campus parade due to weather, will rally indoors Apr 6
- Four-Peat: UConn beats 'Cuse for 4th straight national title Apr 6
- Syracuse-UConn Preview Apr 4
- Tuck and Stewart lead UConn back to the title game Apr 3
- Oregon St.-UConn Preview Apr 2
- Oregon State and UConn take different paths to Final Four Apr 2