Rutgers rolls past struggling SyracuseFeb 15, 2007 - 9:19 AM SYRACUSE, New York (Ticker) -- Kia Vaughn scored 21 points and grabbed 13 rebounds as No. 23 Rutgers captured its 11th win in 13 games with a 68-40 Big East Conference victory over lowly Syracuse.
Vaughn finished 8-of-13 from the field, pulled down seven offensive boards and blocked four shots for the Scarlet Knights (16-7, 9-3 Big East), who grabbed a 12-1 lead at the start of the contest as the Orange missed their first 10 shots.
Matee Ajavon had 13 points and seven assists and Essence Carson scored 12 for Rutgers, which shot 42 percent (28-of-66) and held a 34-20 advantage in points in the paint and 43-35 edge in rebounding.
Vaida Sipaviciute scored 17 points for Syracuse (8-17, 2-10), which shot 13-of-51 (26 percent), including 1-of-13 on 3-pointers, in losing its eighth straight contest.
- NCAA WOMENS BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
RUTGERS (23) 33 35 68
SYRACUSE 20 20 40 FINAL
Feb 14 5:54 PM
- NCAA WOMENS BB
RUTGERS (23) 33
SYRACUSE 20 HALFTIME
Feb 14 4:55 PM
- Wagner guard Jasmine Nwajei transferring to Syracuse May 17
- Syracuse defense cracks under UConn onslaught in title game Apr 6
- Four-Peat: UConn beats 'Cuse for 4th straight national title Apr 6
- Syracuse-UConn Preview Apr 4
- Syracuse hoping for big payoff from run to championship game Apr 4
- Syracuse women beat Washington 80-59, reach NCAA title game Apr 4
- Washington-Syracuse Preview Apr 2
- Huskies, Orange try to keep changes under wraps for rematch Apr 2
- Syracuse women reach new heights under Coach Q Mar 31
- Syracuse women beat Lady Vols 89-67, head to 1st Final Four Mar 28
- Tennessee-Syracuse Preview Mar 26
- Syracuse, Tennessee women set for improbable regional final Mar 26