UConn beats Pittsburgh, grabs share of Big East titleFeb 17, 2007 - 9:35 PM HARTFORD, Connecticut (Ticker) -- Charde Houston helped Connecticut move back to the top of the Big East.
Houston scored 23 points and grabbed 12 rebounds as the fourth-ranked Huskies captured a share of the Big East Conference regular-season title with an 82-68 victory over Pittsburgh.
It is the first league championship in three seasons for Connecticut (24-2, 13-0 Big East), which reeled off 11 straight titles from 1993-94 to 2003-04.
Renee Montgomery scored 17 points and freshman Tina Charles added 16 and nine rebounds for the Huskies, who shot 50 percent (19-of-38) in the first half en route to taking a 45-25 lead at the half.
Mel Thomas scored 10 points and Kalana Greene added eight and eight boards for Connecticut, which captured its 10th straight win.
Marcedes Walker scored 22 points and pulled down 16 rebounds for the Panthers (20-6, 8-5), who were topped in second-chance points, 26-12, and committed 18 turnovers in having a five-game winning streak snapped.
- AT HARTFORD CT
NCAA WOMENS BB FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
PITTSBURGH 25 43 68
CONNECTICUT (4) 45 37 82 FINAL
Feb 17 1:55 PM
- AT HARTFORD CT
NCAA WOMENS BB PITTSBURGH 25
CONNECTICUT (4) 45 HALFTIME
Feb 17 12:47 PM
- Obama honors UConn women for another national championship May 10
- Duke's Azura Stevens transfers to UConn Apr 30
- UConn coach Geno Auriemma released from the hospital Apr 19
- UConn coach Auriemma hospitalized with undisclosed illness Apr 17
- UConn star Morgan Tuck to enter WNBA draft Apr 6
- Returning UConn players say they're ready to take baton Apr 6
- UConn skips campus parade due to weather, will rally indoors Apr 6
- Four-Peat: UConn beats 'Cuse for 4th straight national title Apr 6
- Syracuse-UConn Preview Apr 4
- Tuck and Stewart lead UConn back to the title game Apr 3
- Oregon St.-UConn Preview Apr 2
- Oregon State and UConn take different paths to Final Four Apr 2